Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Extension box on 24 Outlaw?? >

Extension box on 24 Outlaw??

Notices

Extension box on 24 Outlaw??

Old 12-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 25' Checkmate that did 78 mph. It was plenty fast for that size boat. If you want more speed do it safely and wait and get a bigger boat. 24' + 80 mph = trouble! **** happens real fast at that speed.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I still have a 16' closed bow outboard hull that ran 96GPS/101Radar. They do get flighty.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe if you got some battery boxes and bolted your bolsters in you could get some more speed out of that thing.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 12-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Allan4

........bastard...............

Old 12-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by fast 252
I have a 252 with aprox 700 hp and extention box i have got 5 mph by only instaling the box, and a better handling.
Allan4, What I am about to say is pretty much opinionated, but perhaps I can shed a little more light on the subject from what I have experienced from my perspective.

Anytime you can gain an additional speed you're doing well---especially in a boat----even if it's only 1-2mph. And if you gain 5mph as "fast 252" has claimed, then I think anyone would say you did extremely well. You may benefit more from an extension box if your boat does NOT have a notched transom---all boats are different though. Another benefit from an extension box (as mentioned) is better handling....it trims better (better angle of attack) and still another is that it artificially lengthens a boat which makes the boat act/perform as if it is longer. It all kinda ties in together. There may be an exception to the rule, but from what I have learned this is usually the norm. I have Stellings extension boxes on my boat, but I don't know how much I really benefited from the boxes because the first thing I did when I bought the boat was to remove the original equipment (TRS drives and trannys) and replace it with the Stellings extension boxes and Bravo One XR drives. I also removed the 468's and added 540's. So I made too many changes at once to really see where all the benefits came from. The engines were kinda shot so I never drove the boat with the TRS drives. A word to the wise; ALWAYS WATER TEST A BOAT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

Anyway, it takes some tweeking in and playing with props, drive heigth/X-dem is a factor as well so there are lots of variables. Make sure you do your homework first because it could be that you may have to do several mods in order to make an extension boxe(s) work correctly----and that can make it a very costly adventure---more then what you may have possibly planned on. When I had the TRS drives removed we filled in the transom and with extension boxes in mind, we refigured the X-demension to a higher spot and recut--------are you willing to do this if needed? It could mean remounting your engine(s), cutting/modifying your engine hatch, rerigging the engine(s), etc. In other words it can set off a chain reaction of events and mods needed to make the whole thing work-----or it may not require much at all. That's why it's best to do your homework and consider the cost BEFORE you go into battle. Even then there still may be some hidden costs that you weren't expecting and still yet no guarantees on what speeds you will pick up. That's where you have to decide and make your decision whether it's worth it or not. Best wishes
Old 12-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KAAMA
Well put. I have to agree, bolting up a box may alone not help much. Be prepared to change drive height and maybe engine height.
I rerigged a 38 Scarab a few years ago and raised the X dimension a little over 2". Fortunately, I had planned on changing the center of gravity by lightening the bow, moving the fuel tanks back, and making some other changes. After playing with props, I got a better handling boat that gained about 4mph with no change in hp.
For a big improvement, it may take more than just some bolt on parts.
Also, dont forget abount full external hyrdaulic steering with an extension box.
Gary