Rebuilding Trim Rams >

Rebuilding Trim Rams

Notices

Rebuilding Trim Rams

Old 12-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Trim Rams

Does anyone know what it costs to rebuild trim rams? I bought 4 used SSM 3 trim rams that I want rebuilt and painted before I install. There is some pitting and scaling on the cylinders. I have seen the rebuild kits, but I am not sure if I have the tools to do it myself.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:26 AM
Registered

No problem with the tools, nothing unique is used.
I rebuilt a set of 4 last year for under $60. Kits are available through any Merc dealer. I bought my parts from Dollar online.
Gary
Old 12-18-2002, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken, you'll need a spanner wrench to remove the end caps.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only hard part is getting the end cap off. This can be done with a spanner wrench, or vise. Make sure you put a towel on there to keep from scratching the paint. There is also a bolt at the end of the piston that holds a plate and if you look close a couple Bearings and spring. Make sure that when you take that apart you pay attention to how it all goes back together.

Jon
Old 12-18-2002, 06:57 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The #3 rams are differant, no spanner needed. The cap is external. I have a delrin block that we machined to hold the cap without doing too much damage, but have used a pipe wrench and duct tape in the past.

There are 2 tyoes of shock pistons, the spring type as Jon describes and also a solid one, no springs or balls. If they are going to be used on somthing fast, I would run the solid piston.

Here is a link to the parts breakdown - Cylinder Breakdown
Old 12-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Registered

Mbam,
Pipe wrench? I'm surprised Merc doesn't sell a special tool.
I've rebuilt several rams and never run into a SSM with the spring/balls. Some of the TRS rams I've rebuilt were even solid.
waterbum
Order the rebuild kit with the O rings and scrapers and you'll be fine. BTW, there's an early and late ram. The pin size is different, but I think the internals are the same. But get the right one just in case.
Gary
Old 12-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Gary, the TRS internal line and early SSM cylinders are the same. They still look the same aside from the diameter of the tilt pins on the newer cylinders (used on 3A and 5 drive). I can't remember when the solid shock pistons first came out, but of course I can't remember breakfast. No knowing the origin of waterbum's rams, he should be aware of both possibilities. Normally I would reccomend the shock pistons for a TRS application even though if you hit something hard enough to kick the drive up I don't know if they would make a differance. The TRS was never shipped from the factory with the solid pistons, but of course they could have been switched in the past. The hardest part of the rebuild is keeping track of those little tiny balls and springs.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:44 PM
Registered

Marc and Gary,
Thanks for the input. Just wasn't sure if it required any special tools. I am not too worried about scratching the paint since they need to be recoated anyway. It is possible to have them powder coated while they are apart or should I reassemble and have them sprayed?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2002, 08:39 AM
Registered

Sorry, dont know much about poweder coating. A little zinc primer and touch up paint is all I use.
BTW, I would reassemble then paint. You're a lot less likely to chip it up if it's already assembled.
Gary