Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
xr drive ex box and a drive saver. >

xr drive ex box and a drive saver.

Notices

xr drive ex box and a drive saver.

Old 12-22-2002, 01:09 PM
fast 252

Default xr drive ex box and a drive saver.

i am runnig my blower engine aprox 680 hp with sterling ex box as of today never use a drive saver aprox 150 hr i have just a conversetion with BOB teuge and he advise me to instal attach to the F WHEEL to save the drive does any one use one of this, and if not how many hr with out

Old 12-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

fast 252,

I have! I also have the Stelling's extension boxes. I have 50hrs on my drives and driveline withOUT the drive savers. Your driveshafts will need to be about 1/2" shorter or so (I can't remember the exact measurement), so you may have to have your driveshafts shortend, but that will depend on how much clearance you already have with them the way they are now. I have just installed the drive savers, but had to have the drive shafts shortend to make the fit.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:46 PM
fast 252

kamaa i set my box as high as i can aprox 2 inc and the shaft as some kind of an angel i belive 6% is yours the same and how much clerence have you got.

Old 12-23-2002, 12:58 AM
Registered

My extension boxes have been mounted as high as I can get them for my particular make of boat which is just underneath the rub rail. I suppose it could be mounted above the rub rail level, but I didn't want to interfere with the rub rail so I may have to have some IMCO 2" shorty lowers installed. I think my driveshaft is at about 6%. I guess the most you can safely go is 6-7%. I'm not sure what clearance you're talking about.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:58 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kaama-I had the same problem as you. The rub rail would not allow the extension box to go high enough-even with a 2" shortie. I had my brother in-law machine a piece of 1-1/2" aluminum plate to form a spacer. This pushed the box further away from the transom and a notch allowed it to fit nicly over the rubrail. Eventhough the plate is aluminum, it still weighs a pretty penny and wasn't cheap to buy-but it got the job done. The best thing is that I didn't have to extend the drive shaft.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is a drive saver?
Old 12-23-2002, 04:53 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forget exactly how it works, but it's along the same lines as a whirl-a-way.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally posted by cobra marty
What is a drive saver?
Marty, A draw back of using a Stellings extension box is that you can NOT use the stock Bravo drive coupler, and because of this, there wasn't anything available from Stellings to absorb the shock/vibration/dampening effects from shifting, drive re-entry, etc. So there is a company that makes what is actually called a "Drive Saver" that is donut shaped and is made out of some sort of heavy-duty, super strong plastic/nylon material. Stellings does send there own coupler when you buy their extension box, but it is made out of metal---but you'll need to still use this in conjunction with the Drive Saver. Thing is, is that you will need to take the driveshaft to a business that shortens driveshafts.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:10 PM
454hoho

Default mark

Did you buy your drive saver from Teague Marine $225.
do you know of any other mfg`s and how well do they work...?

Old 12-23-2002, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So do I need one for my stelling box? Do all the skaters, formulas, etc from the factory with stellings box have one? Is this a real fear/concern? to need one? Where do I get one?

Quick Reply: xr drive ex box and a drive saver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.