Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
38 top gun and big power >

38 top gun and big power

Notices

38 top gun and big power

Old 01-03-2003, 01:11 AM
CIGAR

G.T. PERFORMANCE IS RIGGING AND BUILDING THE MOTORS.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'll just have watch your ass end

You need to name your boat so I can read it from where I will be now.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:07 PM
shoregasm

Cigar

I would agree that a non stepped hull can handle big power and #6's, I have seen it and they can run over 100 if set up correct....

As far a TS... well I drove that TS with 6's and 900's, handles like crap, really bad at getting on plane as well. I would recomend staying away from it....

Dave

Old 05-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 38 TG(non step) at the shop with staggered 1000 Tyler Crockett engines in it. I haven't driven it but they say it runs over 100 and handles great. Tyler has spent a lot of time in this boat so I'm sure he could give you some good feed back on it. You might give him a call.

Last edited by bobl; 05-07-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tbonepimp and I had a long conversation about this today. We both have twin steps and I guess that we might as well go for the big motors. I got rid of my Eickert 850's, Tbone put the sterlings on hold, lets get KE 1250 poker runs with dry sump 6's, staggered. Ready??? Or you could buy that 2002 Top Gun T/S from Randy @ Lake Cumberland with 6's and 900sc's. Oh nevermind, its late and I have been drinking.
Attached Thumbnails 38 top gun and big power-dually-2.jpg  
Old 05-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Default Re: 38 top gun and big power

Originally posted by CIGAR
On a recent thread it was mentioned that a 38 top gun couldn't handle big power and # 6 drives. It seems to me I have seen quite a few with big power! Does anybody have an opinion on this? I would like to get the pros(oso members) opinon on this!!
Getting ready to install twin 1100 HP and # 6 drives on a 2000 top gun non stepped hull!!!!!
What Up?

I haven't seen any new Guns around these parts. Are you waiting to debut at the SCOPE Poker Run?

I thought that thing would be out and about by now.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:13 AM
CIGAR

Default out and about

We have been out. Been making practice runs (ski runs) to catalina and back. Runs great seems to handle well little hard to tell in the water we've been running in( kind of rough).

Not going to make it to the scope run. Prior commitments.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Cigar .... nice meeting you last weekend.

Everyone ... the boat is for real

Remember, the SCOPE Poker Run is over 3 days .... isn't your prior commitment only 1 day ?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

It's in here somewhere
Attached Thumbnails 38 top gun and big power-p0001527.jpg  
Old 05-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I learned in the research I did on Top guns with big power (non-steps).
If you use #6's, be sure to use "plug-in" sixes that do not require an extension box with drive shafts. The sixes that use the boxes get the weight of the drive too far aft. The cure for this is either to move the motors forward (6-12" depending on who you talk to) or convert to plug ins. It seems from the video and pics I've seen that the porpoise inherent with an aft CG is hard if not impossible to cure. some say the right props help.
Again, none of this is first hand knowledge, just what I've gleanded from others.
I did drive a 90 model Top Gun with 1000's and plug in 6's and it had no propoise problem that couldn't be cured with a little trim and the tabs.
Congrats on your project, you will love it when you are done.

If you want some advice, call Tres Martin or on the west coast I think it is Arrow marine, that may be wrong.
I know the people that maintain Ruckus have pretty good knowledge about this stuff.
Jeffrey (Board God 1) has been there and done that as well.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 38 top gun and big power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.