Notices

Carb Spacer "Super Sucker"

Old 01-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carb Spacer "Super Sucker"

I will try this thread again with a different approach
I read a article in Family and Performance boating about the CP Performance Super Sucker (what a name ) carb spacer. What they say about it on the one page infomercial is that it starts off like a four hole and ends up like a open spacer giving you the best of both worlds. If you look at the picture and design this makes a lot of sense and rings true with all the responses from previous posts about this subject (thanks RUMRUNNER )

So back to the original question is it worth messing around with on my HP500's with modified heads and 731 cams or just keep the money in my pocket and the wrenches in the drawer or am I going to be the board guinea pig on this specific setup
Old 01-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Scott,
My buddy showed me the same article and I too, am considering putting one of these on my HP500. My motor runs so good, I'm kinda hesitant to mess with something that isn't broke, BUT the article sounded so good, too good to pass up! The big question I have is how do I extend my gas hardline from the fuel pump to the carb fuel line T?
Here's the link to their website.

http://www.highvelocityheads.com/ss.htm

MD
Old 01-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 - 14 HP for $100? Would you even notice this small of a power increase?
Old 01-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Dean,
The fuel line would be a problem, add another 100

Budman,
I have two motors that run great, mabey a little rich but that is it. Problem is I can't seem to keep my hands off of stuff If it gives me a tad bit more torque I'm going in the right direction for little money.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Dean,
I have ben told that the original fuel line can be streched and bent enough to accommodate installing a 1" spacer on the HP 500. Just repeating what I have heard, have not tried it. May have to also change the hoses from the valve covers to flame arrestor as well.

Being in FL with the nice warm winter you can try one and test it then post your results for us people in the cold. Save us time and $ in the spring or make us spent some if it works well.

Budman,
General rule of thumb is approx. 12 - 15 HP equals 1 MPH. Is it worth it? Who knows and all boats are different.

Would like to see Dennis Moore to get in on this one since he touchs on the topic in his book.

Mark

Last edited by GETTIN BYE; 01-02-2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Scott,
Thanks for the feed back. I'm still thinking about doing it, just trying to gather as much info, (like yourself) as possible before I jump in the blige.

Gettin bye,
Good point about the valve cover vent hoses! I didn't think about that!

I too, would like to see what Dennis Moore thinks.

MD
Old 01-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Scott,

How much improvement did you see with the addition of the 731 cam and head work? What and how much did you have done to the heads?

Mark
Old 01-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Mark,
The heads had some exhaust relief and porting + a overall cleanup for better flow. The intake also had some minor changes made to help with the A/F mix (removed the sharp runner split). The 731 with the dial in + the head work gave me about 3mph and seemed to allow me to always hit no matter what my top speed that I could only get on those perfect days.
To sum it up it was worth the change for me, the motors seemed to realy come to life and no longer have that flat spot that was holding me back on those hot days.
I know there are a lot of factors with fuel air mix and velocity that my changes have created so it's hard to realy give a solid logical answer about what change helped the most (or the combo). I did not dyno these after they were done and regret it. I just wanted to get it all back together and have some fun. But the speedo speeks for itself (gps) the results were positive!