Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds... >

Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds...

Notices

Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds...

Old 01-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Question Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds...

Has anyone here had any experience with Stainless Marine's exhausts manifolds---good or bad?
Also, how are they when it comes to changing spark plugs? The GIL manifolds can be a real pain because of the casting design and I was wondering about how the Stainless Marine manifolds are when it comes to changing plugs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark/KAAMA
Old 01-09-2003, 08:49 AM
boater31

i have had em on a single and a twin application and cant say enough good things about em!! the plug changes are relatively easy and they install pretty easy too. saw good performance gains as well. single boat ran 60 and w/ just the manifold swap i saw 66-68. that sold me but they have a good sound as well! hope this helps!!!

Old 01-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Marine

I've used Stainless Marine exhausts on twins BBC for over ten years with no problems whatsoever. I have long, through transom, risers. They are among the most accomodating people in the business. They also have people with very strong offshore backgrounds. Their products are absolutely bulletproof.

Changing plugs on my motors is not easy but certainly achievable. Difficulty is similar to GILS and tougher than tubes.

I really like the clamping system for riser to manifold. It is super fast and has never failed me. No bolts.

I saw a 150-175 RPM gain over stock but no where near 6-8 mph.

No rust, no hassles, lose 150 pounds. Looks, performs and sounds great. You should never have to purchase another exhaust system for your boat.

Very good people to deal with.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Had them for 5 seasons

I know I'm only running small blocks, but speaking quality wise, the offer a 5 year warranty, and looked great after I used them for 5 years.

During my rebuild last year, I took a good look at them after I pulled them out of the parts washer, & they looked like new.

I also have to agree with deboatmon........the clamping system bewtween the manifolds and risers works well. it's pretty forgiving if you need to "swivel them a little."

Also, if you want to retain the "stock set up" with the shifters, etc, everything bolts right up if you get the ones with the plates. I've seen this on small and big blocks.

They are helpful if you give them a call.

I wouldn't hesitate to use use them.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I put them on my 28 apache and was very happy with them. I was a little worried about the clamping but even with me standing on them they never moved. They also sounded great( dry exhaust), i was always told that i had the loudest boat on the bay and one of the strongest sounding.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto to above comments. I put them on my 502 which I had for two seasons. Easy to install once I was able to get the rusted bolts out of the merc manifolds. Did have to cut one of the Q&Q pipes down one inch and rework the oil filter bracket, but no big deal. Plugs were easy to get to after the change over.

Performance and sound were much improved. Although, I saw no where near 6 mph gain. Also, just the appearance blows the stock setup away.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Okay guys THANKS. Your responses were actually the kind of answers I was looking forward to.

Mark/KAAMA
Old 01-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Registered

Same good words about them.The only trouble I had was on install of the water fittings-capoff plugs.Stainless Marine said that if the fittings do not screw in easy to take a tap and clear up the powder coating off the threads that are in the manifolds,because if you don.t you might strip them out. Also as the powder coat gets hot it will melt abit so you should check the torque on the bolts till they settle in.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 01-09-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 years, great performance and sound on a twin blower application with captians call. I don't have any problems with spark plug changing. The oil filter bracket was not welded on very well (a little cheap here). Couple hunks of stainless steel and $50 later, they have no chance of coming loose now. Best bang for $1500 per set.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Registered

Kaama, your not thinking about getting rid of your Stellings are you?.....Fred

Quick Reply: Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.