merc II transmission >

merc II transmission

Notices

merc II transmission

Old 01-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default merc II transmission

is there another name for it? I don't see many references to it -- is it similiar to the velvet drive?

what kinda HP can this tranny take???

thanks

Mark
Old 01-15-2003, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

They were caled the MercTrans. I`ve have several over the years, the weak link is the pump gear. If you hammer it hard the gear will split in half and loose pressure

My guess is about 450 hp max, maybe more if you are easy on them. They seem to last longer if you prop down a tad and spin the motors a little higher. These trannys don`t like to be strained.

Good luck,

Kurt.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good answer!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good answer!
Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Registered

MercTrans II. -- Operates like B/W Velvet Drive but weighs less than half, is about 6" shorter and far more delicate. Previous answer is totally accurate but pump parts can be upgraded by "cryo-treating". --- Jer
Old 06-07-2004, 08:06 AM
scottyjacks

Default Re: merc II transmission

THis is an old thread, but I really need to ask Biggus and JPClear about recommendations on fixing a shot MerTransII or going to something else - parts are nearly non-existant, and I'd like to look at something "less delicate". I've had my 74 SRV300 for 10 years, and honestly - 90% of my mechanical issues have been tranny related. What's cryo-treating? I believe the pump failed this past weekend on my port engine and am evaluating my alternatives before jumping in....

Old 06-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the room in front of the engine (about 6 or 7 inches) then go with the BW tranny. It will take a LOT more HP then the Merc Trans.

Jon
Old 06-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Registered

OK, here is what I have done just recently. I located a B/W late style 71-C for TRS(the shorter, lighter B/W) with all the goodies needed to upgrade. (bellhousing, cooler, lines, linkage, starter, coupler, etc. for less than a grand) I am sending the tranny to Tom Huber who will build it to take 900+ hp. Will install it this winter or when the MerCtrans fails; whichever comes first. This requires the space to move the engine about 5" forward but the results are a much stronger installation and a bulletproof, nice shifting drive. --- Jer
Old 06-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Registered

Of course, there is the question of what I'm going to do with my MerCtrans if it survives till I make the swap. I have "tricked" it with some apparent success since it's well into it's second season behind 600+ hp with no problems. But, I DO NOT PLAY COWBOY! It would probably handle 450-500 hp forever. --- Jer
Old 06-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Registered

according to Galen -- at http://www.speedmasters-inc.com/ -- there are plenty of parts for the merc II

He rebuilt mine last year (at the recommendation of Jo Nunez) -- turns out there are different models of the merc II tranny -- factory rating on the later models is 450hp -- without modifications.

I'm running 500hp through mine -- and while i don't hammer the stick for take off -- i other wise don't worry about my tranny. I've not had any trouble with it at all.

Quick Reply: merc II transmission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.