Notices

skegs

Old 02-01-2003, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question skegs

who has the bent or broken skeg? one easy way to fix is to take a cut off wheel score a straight line 1/8 deep across and 1" or so below the bullet/then believe it or not take a big hammer and hit it hard with a good swing and SNAP It will break off straight off everytime /then purchase a SKEG GUARD ,USE THE SAME ADHESIVE that GM uses on there truck doors to hold them on ,it works and holds and off you go /no heat applied to the gearcase what so ever. or have it welded and finished back down by a local shop that is good or request a new aluminum skeg welded on and finished out to look new.just note that it will never be as strong as new as the aluminum always has porisity?(spell check) when heat is applied no matter how clean you prepare it /it 5:30a.m. I must be bored /Darin oh or just by a new housing.

Last edited by HOUSTONPROP; 02-01-2003 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

hey . . as long as we are on the subject of scegs. what is meant by " herring skegs" on #6 drives. i think i saw the term used on a race boat being sold. just curious.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Ric232

Sounds like a special skeg shape that is required to clear Herring propellers.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:34 AM
Intolerant1

I did a skeg gaurd last year and have some advise. Seal the area around the top. I didnt and it filled with drive oil the first time I changed the drive oil. Didnt realize it until I put the boat in the water. Thought I had a bad leak due to the huge oil slick behind me boat. I checked the whole drive over b4 figuring out what happened.

Old 02-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Registered

I actually designed the skeg guard. had it on paper several years ago/I went to a convention and opened my mouth,of course ,I did not have the patent/next thing you know ,I lost it . I was up late one night drew it on paper and thats all the further I went other than opening my mouth.Darin
Old 02-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Open mouth - Insert foot.

Don't feel bad.
I invented the sandwich.
Then I opened my mouth.

Same thing...
Old 02-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Registered

Talking thats good

at least there is something to about today/may GOD BLESS THE CREW & THEIR FAMILYS. Darin
Old 02-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered

I was wondering if the "skeg-guard" would cause any loss of speed or cause cativation? My skeg-guard has a tri-angle shaped plate on the bottom of it. Seems like some don't...What is the purpose anyways of this on the skeg-guard anyways...
Old 02-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Intolerant1

I didnt notice any diference in speed or handleing. I also have the wedge shaped plate. I think its just a little extra strength where the skeg takes most of a beating.

Old 02-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Registered

Default SKEGGUARD

When ,I designed my Skeg Guard it did not have this ,and when they came out this was the only difference. I assume its to act as a stabalizer?but it would think it would cause more drag than anything?Darin

Quick Reply: skegs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.