Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc Distributior w/Crane or MSD? >

Merc Distributior w/Crane or MSD?

Notices

Merc Distributior w/Crane or MSD?

Old 02-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I currently am using a MSD billet distributor with an MSD Crank Trigger system. These are connected to a Crane Hi-6M that has several different timing curves in it. However, I am running a constant/locked in 32* of timing. The engines can at times be difficult to start---and my cams aren't too big 236*/244* on 114* lobes so I don't think they have enough bleed off to relieve any cranking pressure. I'm having the Crane ignition boxes re-programed at 100rpm increments from start-up, idle to WOT.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a MSD digital 7M box with with a MSD billet distributor timing is locked In. The MSD box automatically retards timing at start-up until rpms go over 1000. Works great.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Brad Perry

Running a 6AL box with their billet distrib locked out.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way NASCAR is they probably have to run the same ignitions across the board. They sure wouldn't want someone to have a better mouse trap. That wouldn't be fair. Same goes for the fuel, body, engine, carb ..... Keeping the cars equal and sponsors is all NASCAR is. I run a MSD 6M2 box with the plug in rev limiter set at 7000 RPM and the pro billet distributor and my timing locked in at 38 degrees. It works great!!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to go the MSD route, I suggest you get an MSD distributor. Crazyhorse may have a used one laying around. Might have an MSD box too. PM or email him too find out.

I'm running the Crane with an MSD distributor. Easy hook up, and I love the easy rev limiter, which I can testify works well as I bumped into it several times prop testing and such.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Nelson Specialties , down south in one of the Carolinas (I forget)
reworks MSD boxes for Winston Cup because most won't finish the race
They literally dump everything out and replace it with higher quality components that do the same thing
My buddy has lost three on his boat and two on his dyno and has had a ton come though his shop to be upgraded after failing.
All of which he sent to Nelson
As for stock MSD...couldn't give me one.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Registered

Anyone use Mallory ignition products? As for MSD what is the benefit of using a 7M over a 6M box aside from the 7M has the rev limitor built in? I am not talking about the digital stuff. From their catalog it seems the 7ML has a little more output, but what will that translate into as far as performance?
Old 02-08-2003, 08:09 AM
blown1500

WETTVETTE, those NASCAR cars have two ignition sustems in them so when one breaks, they can switch to the other one. NASCAR is so afraid someone will install a TRACTION DEVICE, they are very pickey about what they allow.
If you use the Mercruiser module, using almost anybodys ignition box is generally possible. If you want to use an aftermarket sustem and bypass the Mercruiser module, the Mercruiser distributor is a problem.

Last edited by blown1500; 02-08-2003 at 08:12 AM.

Old 02-08-2003, 12:10 PM
bobby daniels

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WETTE VETTE
The way NASCAR is they probably have to run the same ignitions across the board. They sure wouldn't want someone to have a better mouse trap. That wouldn't be fair. Same goes for the fuel, body, engine, carb ..... Keeping the cars equal and sponsors is all NASCAR is. I run a MSD 6M2 box with the plug in rev limiter set at 7000 RPM and the pro billet distributor and my timing locked in at 38 degrees. It works great!! [/QUOTE

yes vette everyone knows they try and keep the car equal but they chose the MSD over all others for one reason It works better ,nhra , ihra, offroad, offshore , and almost everyone else racing as I said they all use that old tech. (MSD)
1500 is right nthere are two in the car if they could they would have two of everything to be sure to finish ,they run 6aln boxes with epoxy and this year should turn 10k at the short tracks

Old 02-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

So lets see a show of hands...how many people twist their boats 10,000 rpm?

9000?

8000?

7000?

a more relistic 6000?

an honest 5000?

Quick Reply: Merc Distributior w/Crane or MSD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.