Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
engine unstarted for 16 monthes? >

engine unstarted for 16 monthes?

Notices

engine unstarted for 16 monthes?

Old 02-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Steve_H

Question engine unstarted for 16 monthes?

the boat im buying hasnt been started for 16 monthes.
it has been kept in the sellers heated garage after being winterized in back in october 2001.

im headed up to michigan to close the deal and bring her home but will hear the engine before closing the deal.
this will all be done at the brokers facility.

my question is , should i demand they prime the oil pump by pulling the distributer before starting it or am i worrying to much?

thanks ,
steve

Old 02-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they don't want to take the time to do the prime you could just pull the lanyard and crank for 10 seconds at a time to get the oil pressure up. Next best would be to pull the plugs and crank it over. Either way pull the lanyard or ground out the plugs with a test jumper board. That fuel is going to be rotten!

Tim T.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Steve_H

thanks Tim , never thought about the rotten fuel.
maybe it doesnt have alot in it and i could add some before they start it.

i think ill just do the lanyard deal.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Skipping the details of how but you could just siphon or use an electric fuel pump to remove most of it. Depending upon the model and fuel system arrangement you could also hook the system up to a portable 6 gal. marine outboard tank....
Tim T.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOTOPARTY I would pull the plugs on that Sunsation and shoot some oil in each of the cylinders and let it set for better part of 30 minutes. it will smoke good but you wont have to worry about breaking rings or bending a rod from frozen rings. just my .02 Charlie
Old 02-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Steve_H

hmmmmmmmm , thanks ragtop409 !

Old 02-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the mechanic remove all the plugs, oil the cylinders and try yo crank the engine by hand with a torque wrench on the crank pulley before trying to start. Just my .02
Old 02-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are gonna oil it down, use atf or Marvel Mystery oil. If you use regular oil in any large quantity you risk glazing the cylinder walls. Also I would follow a new engine break in when you run this thing-no WOT or long runs at the same throttle position for 5-10 hours.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have resurrected several engines using Marvel Mystery Oil by putting a quart of MMO in the engine oil (make sure you don"t overfill) before you even crank it over. Then as suggested above, pull the lanyard and go through several cycles of cranking (It is much easier on the starter to pull the plugs out first) to get some fluid up in the engine, then crank and run.

After period of running, drain all the old oil, put in new oil with more MMO and run it pretty much normally for about 10 hours.

Then change the oil again and put new oil in without the MMO.
I have had good results doing this.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would pull the plugs or spray something marvel oil,, wd-40,,, SOMETHING down there ,,, FOGGING oil even

Quick Reply: engine unstarted for 16 monthes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.