Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
To Dennis Moore >

To Dennis Moore

Notices

To Dennis Moore

Old 02-18-2003, 08:15 AM
sheikman1

Default To Dennis Moore

In your bible, you state that a Holley 800 should only be used on a Dart or Victor JR. intake, and not on a dual plan manifold.
What would happen if that 800 Holley was used on a dual plane Edelbrook performer rpm...
Also what is the difference between a 800 and 850 Holley besides the obvious.

Thanks
Sheikman

Old 02-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Truckin

Default It can be used and works well on a dual plane

When I wrote that in the book an important thing was edited out.
I suggested that if you use the 800 on a Dart or Edelbrock single plane that the selection of jets would be easier by starting with the same jets that Mercruiser uses on the 500 HP carb model. The 800 will work fine on a single plane or dual plane manifold.
I believe that the 800 with standard boosters and the 830 with annular discharge booster carbs have become a favorite because they were used so much in Nascar racing. People believe that they are better than the 850 for this reason. They were used in Nascar because the limit put on the carburetors was 1 11/16 inch throttle bores. They may have a little more research and development on them because of this but a very critical dimension for any carburetor is the ratio of the size between the venturi and the throttle bores. Generally a small venturi and a large throttle bore is advantages for a responsive carburetor that will still flow high cfm. Using a 1 3/4 inch throttle bore and the same size venturi as the 800-830 will make a bigger carb be almost as responsive as the smaller carb. The 850 is built this way. The 830 with annular discharge nozzles works very well though!
Sincerely
Dennis Moore