Best "jerry-rig" >

Best "jerry-rig"

Notices

Best "jerry-rig"

Old 02-20-2003, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Best "jerry-rig"

Ok guys, at some point in time, for whatever reason, we've all wanted to either; get out on the water & didn't have what we needed, needed to make a quick fix, just wanted to save money, etc....................

So what was the best "jerry-rig" we've all come up with done ?

This is just for fun, so multiple listings ok.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: Best "jerry-rig"

[i]

So what was the best "jerry-rig" we've all come up with done ?

[/B]
Wow, I mean come up with, or done.....time for another cup of coffee !
Old 02-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

back in the "jet-ski" days i had a carb bolt shear off and the carb was hanging by one bolt......i siliconed and zip-tied the thing back together and it lasted me the rest of the day! I was quite proud of that one!

Its amazing what you can think of when faced with a dilema! I once used a piston ring that i broke into two pieces to open the cable box outside a buddy's house so we can watch a fight that night!

i have a million of these stories!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Oh lets see.........
Bypassed a starter slave solenoid a few
times

Tie strapped open a non functional
corsa solenoid.

Bypassed open trim limit wire harness

Broke a shift cable on L/H drive,
pulled the drive, manually shifted it into
fwd gear, installed the drive, manuevered
around the docks with R/H engine.

I'll think of more as the day goes by.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Wally
back in the "jet-ski" days i had a carb bolt shear off and the carb was hanging by one bolt......i siliconed and zip-tied the thing back together and it lasted me the rest of the day! I was quite proud of that one!

Its amazing what you can think of when faced with a dilema! I once used a piston ring that i broke into two pieces to open the cable box outside a buddy's house so we can watch a fight that night!

i have a million of these stories!
That's cool..............one related to the boat:

I decided to put small blocks in a 31 scarab hull, where big blocks once resided. Everything went fine, but when I wne to connect the exhaust, I had Stainless marine manifolds. Anyways, it was about 4 inches low, anyways, we cut the manifold & welded an extension between the flange and riser (but didn't put a water jacket around it - you know had to get it done ASAP).

Anyways when we first took out the boat, we ran it, it ran great................ So my friend said crack the hatch, lets check out everything at 6000 rpms..........CHIT, they were glowing !

Anyways, I threw on some header wrap, but I still need to "jacket them" Actually, I'm tinkin of just building a set of full dry pipes.we'll see.

Another one............needed a circ pump on a sunday (of course)......bolted up an auto pump, but one of the hoses was a bit big...................well, lets just say a bunch of duct tape and a few hose clamps couldn't fix !
Old 02-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

Tied up to a 36ish formula one year....nextthing ya know his swim platform is starting to go under water! Pop the hatch to find water up to the middle of the crank pullys!!! He flips the bilge pumps and nothing!! we can see water rushing in from one of the thru-hull water pickups....i grab a plastic bag from one of the subway sandwich bags and dive in the water and stop the leak....now we try and figure out why bilges dont work....turns out he says they have been broke for a while and he hasnt had time to fix em!!! So i disconnect his water pickup for his A/C unit and tell him to turn on the air....he gives me this look of "your crazy" and goes and does it......bout an hour later the waters down enough to start the engines up to charge the batts...luck for him he had a jumper box on board too!!! The guy limped home on one engine.....but the cabin was nice and cold! LOL

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered

Velcro is a wonderful tool..............A trim piece fell off a boat, and I saw a guys struggling with it, so I gave him a couple pieces of velcro - one to stick on the trim piece (which was padded, and the screws came from behind), and one to stick on the side of the boat...............4 years later, it's srill there.......VELCRO, the alternative to duct tape !
Old 02-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a motor mount fall out of one my 500EFI's. The only thing I had on board was lunch, so I took out a hot dog stuffed it in the mount hole, secured it with a pretzel on either end and ran for the rest of the day. Best part is that the hot dog tasted good too!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 12:30 PM
cheitman

Grenaded a rear u-joint street racing years ago. Had a buddy who was a farmer and always carried baling wire and pliers everywhere he went. Between the wire and a half roll of duct tape I was able to limp home at 10mph.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally posted by cheitman
Grenaded a rear u-joint street racing years ago. Had a buddy who was a farmer and always carried baling wire and pliers everywhere he went. Between the wire and a half roll of duct tape I was able to limp home at 10mph.
It was clunking as you drove, wasn't it ? LOL

Quick Reply: Best "jerry-rig"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.