Supercharger Shootout >

Supercharger Shootout

Notices

Supercharger Shootout

Old 03-12-2003, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Supercharger Shootout

I have often wondered if one of the boating magazines would ever try to publish a supercharger shootout article. About the only format that I could see working is "run whatcha brung, but here's the sealed HP500 spec engine and 92 octane fuel that you have to use." I don't care what blower you use, what fuel delivery system, or what boost level is achieved. Whoever makes the most power without detonation wins.

Competitors would be expected to bring a combo which is already dyno tuned. No thrashing the sealed HP500 used for the shootout. You get one day to install and "fine tune" your combo. Then you get to pull the lever three times for the competition. Your result is the average of those three pulls.

Relatively long duration dyno pulls will test the performance of intercooling. The use of excess fuel delivery to cool the charge will show up in the BSFC numbers. No water injection allowed.

I have seen many threads lately asking which supercharger is the best. Here's the answer. By looking at dyno results, fuel consumption, cost and complexity of each system the consumer can decide which one suits them best.

Years ago one of the car magazines did this but they got all caught up in trying to keep boost levels constant between competitors. Boost doesn't matter in a test like this. The true limit to performance is detonation. You do whatever you want as long as the engine doesn't detonate on 92 octane on a long dyno pull.

What do you think guys?

Last edited by tomcat; 03-13-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another rule is to run motor at wot for 2+ minutes straight. Or more points for keeping at wot the longest with out motor damage.

Before & after running engine do leak down test on motor.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:44 AM
Registered

I like the idea of this.............I also like the full throttle idea. Running for just a few seconds is not a true test of an engines capabilities ! Often, we run engines at WOT for long periods of time.

RJ !
Old 03-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

this is a great idea! Now how do we get them to do it!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Registered

Maybe if we keep this thread open & close to the top some lurkers from some magazines (Hot Boat, F&PB, Powerboat, Poker Run, Truckin, & who ever I forgot, we know you are out there) will take this on.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like WOT tell they blow First off the carnage could be awsome. That is how Merc does it at the lake right

Jon
Old 03-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Registered

Good comments. Two minutes at WOT would tell us a lot. The dyno would have to be equipped with a water tank and pump dedicated to the intercooler. The pump would have to be capable of maintaining a constant pressure of maybe 20 psi in front of the intercooler. This amount of water pressure is easily available in a boat (at say 75F). With this variable under control we can see the benefit of bigger and/or more efficient intercoolers.

The test engine would have to be equipped with a knock sensor. If you trigger the sensor your test is over and you have to detune a bit before proceeding. It's not fair to wreck the engine before others get a chance. Leakdowns are a good idea too.

All the factors that people talk about when comparing superchargers are reduced to HP by this dyno shootout. You might have the best compressor efficiency, but too many intake path restrictions. You might have the lowest drive HP required, but poor cooling effectiveness. You might have the most compact layout but poor cylinder to cylinder fuel distribution requiring overly rich fuel metering. Doesn't matter, the system with the best overall performance in all these areas will produce the most HP and be the winner.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the use of a knock sensor, there are no aftermarket knock sensors with any true accuracy. We've run 500's at 10minutes WOT on our dyno. We use cylinder pressure transducers in every cylinder, wide range air fuel sensors in every cylinder, as well as wide range air fuel sensors in the collector, EGT's are there for reference only. Theres also a CO2 sensor to backup the readings. We run all long dyno runs for accurate power readings as well as accurate tuning. I know for a fact that very few of my competitors even come close to this type of testing. No marine aftermarket company has anything close to this technology. THere are very few dynos around (available to the public) that can run at that level and maintain all the water flows and temps.

Dustin
Old 03-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a great idea!

I`d love to be a part of the team for sure.

Tom, how`s things going with your project?

Kurt
Old 03-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Registered

Dustin:

I may be misinterpreting your post, but it doesn't sound like you are too keen on the idea. However, you make some good points, and I agree that:

1) We should use OEM knock sensors that are accurate
2) We should run the tests for as long as it takes to stabilize temperature
3) We should find a dyno that is capable of hosting this event
4) We should expect the Whipplecharger team to show up with a very well prepared entry

If you can tune each individual cylinder closer to the edge with your technology, then you have an advantage, but I'm sure other supercharger companies would also show up well prepared.

Kurt:

This would be a hell of an event to participate in and read about. Loyal customers will always find a reason to stick with their brand, but undecided buyers would learn a lot to help them with their decision.

Maybe we should talk to Warren about this idea. It has some risks for all concerned, including the magazine that sponsors it, but "Supercharger Shootout" in big letters on the cover is almost as eyecatching as "Swimsuit Special".

Quick Reply: Supercharger Shootout

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.