Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Plug filter bypass? >

Plug filter bypass?

Notices

Plug filter bypass?

Old 07-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dug this up out of the ancient history archieves. Am at the same point you were Formula31 with to plug or not to plug. How did you make out? I have oil temp problems in both engines with the only thing not being changed is this bypass. I've even changes engines and still have oil temp problems. I am planning to tap in a 1/4" pipe plug before reinstalling the current engine that lost its main bearings. My automotive machinist says plug the valve. What is the prefered way of plugging this valve off?

BT
Old 07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
bobby daniels

Please plug it ,it will save the motor in the long run
p.m.me I will tell you how if needed

Old 07-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems if you leave it alone and had a blockage that would cause it to bypass you would see it in the oil temps. and shut it down when YOU are ready and find the problem but you would still be able to have the use of the motor and if you were in a bad real world spot like a real bad storm or lets say you are right in the way of a real big ship and the filter lets go because it does not have a bypass you my friend are now at the mercy of the sea.Ok lets say that the bypass is blocked off and you make sure that the filter you are running has a bypass in it and it goes into bypass you might not know because the oil temps won't change and there might not be much of an oil pressure change on your gage so now you are running unfiltered oil and you don't know it and if you don't know it it seem like you could be running that way till your next oil and filter change and good by motor for sure. What Dennis Moore says leave it
Old 07-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to vote with Bobby on this one guys. I have ran boat motors with by-pass plugged for many years now. Never had a problem blowing or plugging a filter. I always use a quality filter and like everyone here change it often. I would be more worried about by-passing when not needed then something plugging up. Just my .02.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a pluged adapter on my Burb with no problems. My only sugjestion is use a filter with LOTS of volume. The bigger the better I like the AC-Delco 2 quart jobie on the Burb. Rag's