CMI Problems >

CMI Problems

Notices

CMI Problems

Old 03-31-2003, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CMI Problems

Ran the boat for the first time Saturday with the new CMI's I bought with the group purchase here on OSO. The installation went well except for the fact that one of the tail pipes didnt fit. CMI stood behind their product and shipped me a new one out at no charge. I ran the boat in the driveway to check for leaks before I went out but once underway I had a couple of problems.

Problem # 1

After being on plane for about a minute I noticed a burning rubber smell. I pulled back the throttles and stopped and jumped in the bilge to see what was burning. Everything looked good and the hoses for the exhaust system were warm to the touch but not hot. Nothing seemed to be out of order. Ran to the next idle zone and smelled it again. Went back in the bilge and again everything was cool enough to touch. I went ahead and tightened the accessory belt just in case it was slipping. I took it easy on the way to our destination but I could smell the burning rubber smell the whole way. Checked everything when I arrived and it all looked good. On the way back the smell was starting to go away but it was still noticable. Near the landing I opened her up and ran for a minute or so. Put her on the trailer and looked again and I noticed the headers are discolored near the head before the water jacket starts. Is this normal? Was the burning rubber smell the header gaskets burning in? I remember the gaskets CMI supplied were some kind of rubbery composite material.

Problem #2

After a close inspection at home I noticed both of the connections from the header to the tail pipe are leaking slightly. You can see where a small ammount of water and exhaust gases have leaked. I think these headers I have have the Flex Flare connection here. The gasket is flat and round and uses a band clamp to hold the pipes together. I tightened the band clamps pretty tight when I assembled them. The header and tailpipe connection looked good before I put the band on. Everything looked square and right. What do I do now?

Anybody with experience with CMI's please chime in.

Ron
Old 03-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The gaskets smell. I replaced mine with solid copper gaskets. So far they are great. has been 1 year. I have the discoloration, but no problems. CMI was great to deal with.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same for me gaskets smell the first time and discoloration
Old 03-31-2003, 04:33 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you have the "E" tops?? I had the same problem with my two piece tube tops. The answer is to put 2 gaskets at the flange. Crappy design!! Apparently this is a common problem with cammed up motors, even the 500hp's. BTW the water your seeing is reversion. Notice how far down the tailpipe the water exits?? Happens only at idle, but its annoying. Its a good sign to keep your idle up as high as you can.

Dan