Never winterized!!! Now what should I do

Notices

Never winterized!!! Now what should I do

Old 04-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Never winterized!!! Now what should I do

Ok this winter I never got the chance to winterize the boat. I know I know stupid stupid stupid. It was stored inside all year. It was already in need of a oil change when it was put away. I used it late in the season and then the weather went sub archtic over night and snow snow snow and I was never able to get it pulled out of the shop so that I could do the winterizing. Anyhow what is my best means of trying to protect things as best I can. Should I suck the old oil out first and put the new stuff in? Should I just start it and warm it up then take the oil out? Anything that I should do to try and limit the damage that I may have done? I know the blocks did not freeze or crack as the boat is inside heated storage so I guess I have that going for me.

Jon
Old 04-01-2003, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert, but I think if you get oil on the cylinders ie: pull plugs and fogg the cylinders before start-up and make sure you don't flood it when initial starting you would be OK.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

warm it up, then change the fluids and have fun. you aint going to hurt it anymore then you already have by leaving dirty oil in it.
seeya
later

ps i doubt that you have done any real damage to the motors by leaving dirty oil in it
Old 04-01-2003, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Definately get some oil into the cylinders and on the valvetrain before running.

Also a good idea to pull your kill-switch and turn the engine over a few seconds prior to start.

Fresh fuel is a plus and getting rid of that old acidy oil is a good idea.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:31 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

if it was in a heated garage your good to go......run it till its warm change the oil and go!The only reason to fog it is to keep the cylinders from rusting when the temps fluctuate if it was in a heated shop your golden!
Old 04-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. I will pull the distributers and pump up the oil with the drill, pull the plugs and spray some lube in there then turn it over a bit, put the plugs back in, then start it up and change everything out.

Jon
Old 04-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, please tell me you didn't leave any WATER in the motors!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 07:20 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

untreated surfaces such as cylinder walls,open valves,ect will rust . heated garage, inside or out . the levels will be less sever in a controlled environment . the worst buy far is leaving the used oil in your engine . hydrocarbons brake down and enter the oil and it becomes acidic . acid will etch metal,dissolve,eat away. now realize that the engine bearings are a soft metal that is easily damaged by the mildest of acids even in a short time. food for thought.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Registered

thanks mr outboard

i was wondering. is it better to change oil before winter....
or after, to get rid of the condensation that "dripped" into the oil from the block during season warmup.

i suppose the anal retentive answer is both.

but knowing the impact of the acid issue varifies the need to do it before storage. thanks

boy was my boat sweating that first warmup day last week. could only imagine what the inside of the block looked like

i suppose the condensation in the oil will just boil off on the first run.

hey....I gotta go!!! gotta get the water out of my oil. it's a balmy 46deg around here and the ice is gone!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be ok. Squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders fired it up, warm the oil, then change oil.

Quick Reply: Never winterized!!! Now what should I do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.