Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
royal purple >

royal purple

Notices

royal purple

Old 04-06-2003, 07:28 PM
racinbird

Default royal purple

Im looking into buying a used 97' baja boss 232 with a built 502. The original owner and builder of the engine has used royal purple racing oil since break in. It now has 100 hrs on the engine. Does anyone have an input on using this oil? I have always used mobil 1 in my truck, but do not have any experience with this stuff. I have heard of race cars using it but not boats, is it good stuff and is it worth the money? Will it hurt anything switching to mobil 1 or should I continue to use what the engine has always used. I have always been confused when it comes to oil brands and conv. vs. syn., EVERYONE has a different opinion. Please help! thanks, Derrick

Old 04-06-2003, 08:34 PM
bobby daniels

Royal purple is a good oil !! moble one is also ,,,its 50 ,50 which one to use ,,just get the easiest one !! If you switch to Mobile one it may and I mean may use alittle oil until the mobile one builds it on deposits around rings ,ect ,,,,, it will stop !!!!!

Old 04-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have run Royal Purple since 1997 I love it. Supposed to be great for bearing surfaces.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal purple is better than Mobil 1 in my opinion. But dont use the racing oil. It doesn't have the corrosion and water inhibiting additives the regular SAE oil does.

I would use the regular 15-40 Royal Purple. I've talked to engineers at RP and that's what they told me.

DAVE
Old 04-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Registered

ok, yea iah ave heard great things about it but...where do you get it where it's not 5.99 a quart and no discount for buying cases or bulk....what gives
Old 04-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd have to agree with Dave F.
I ran RP Racing 50 all year last year and although it seemed to perform great I did get some rusting on the rockers. If you can afford to change it often it would be great.
This year I have switched to Amsoil 15-40 Diesel / Marine in my blown 540. This was recommended strongly by Amsoil tech.
No results as of yet.
Later,
Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 01:11 PM
bobby daniels

Nordic be sure you don't have condensation in the valve covers this is a common problem ,may need a pcv valve
50 weight oils ??you must have some wide bearing clerances ?? that determines the weight of the oil ..
I relly like the oil your running now it will do well ,but nothing will work if you have condensation ,good luck

Old 04-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea-Yea-Yea -Yea
Just make sure you have oil in there!
Old 04-09-2003, 04:16 PM
CESSNA

Originally posted by CAP071
Yea-Yea-Yea -Yea
Just make sure you have oil in there!
Smart comment ,do you own a bayliner ,!!!!

Old 04-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Registered

I would stay with the Royal purple, it had a better base stock, mobil 1 is great I use it, but I get it for free

Quick Reply: royal purple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.