Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Adjusting valves with engine running? >

Adjusting valves with engine running?

Notices

Adjusting valves with engine running?

Old 04-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adjusting valves with engine running?

Just fired up the engine after doing some head work. I have one noisy rocker arm. The lifters are new hydraulic rollers and Crane Gold Rockers. BudMan has a valve cover with the top cut off so we thought we would try the adjustment with the engine running.

Attempting to rotate the engine by hand would be very difficult as the blower pulley prevents access to the crank bolt. I think the method of centering on the base circle is out due to not being able to accurately rotate the engine.

I was thinking of finding the noisy one and just backing it off until the noise becomes worse and then tightening slowly until it stops then go 1/2 turn more. Will this work?

I also forgot what the torque spec for the retainer is. I think it was something like 30 or 35 ft. lbs ?

Any other tips?

Tim T.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go a 1/4 turn on a hi perf. engine, a 1/2 turn is for more of a stock engine, not sure on the crane roller rockers, but if I remember crower's were 40 ft lbs, maybe Bobby Daniels are Blown 1500 will add to this
Old 04-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Baddog,

Here is what I do. This method will allow you to use the starter to bump the motor over to get the camshaft in the correct location to adjust the valves:

Adjust the intake valve when the exhaust starts to open

Adjust the exhaust when the intake starts to close.

Spin the pushrod with your fingers as you slowly tighten the rocker nut until they just makes contact with each, then tighten to your preference (1/4 - 3/4) of a turn. I usually go 1/2. I have never had to readjust after this.

Hope this helps,
Old 04-13-2003, 09:30 AM
blown1500

ido1320 uses the same method I use. Adjusting the valves with the engine running makes a mess and you get the best adjustment by using the bump method.

Old 04-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on valve adjustment procedure. I have a brand new set of crane hyd rollers that I had trouble with 1 set (2 lifters) causing noise. Sent them back to crane they replaced free but said nothing was wrong with them? No noise now adjusted same way.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Registered

A simple mistake I have made in the past that caused noisy lifters was not paying attention to the roller rocker when I installed. My rocker fulcrum (where the stud come through) has a flat side and a ball shaped side. The flat side should face the rocker nut. If one installs the rockers with the ball side toward the nut, noise will soon develop after starting the engine. Not enough contact for the nut to bear on.

Just a thought,

BT

(oh yeah, I use the bump method too and go 5/8 a turn)