Help with my Vibration >

Help with my Vibration

Notices

Help with my Vibration

Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Help with my Vibration

I'm getting a vibration, almost a shake at speed when the drive is trimmed to it's limit switch. I also get it at idle in gear when turning real sharp......I just had the drive off last week, I replaced the upper gear set, (changed ratios) checked/ lubed the u-joints and replaced the gimbal bearing. The gimbal bearing was bad, I physically saw the bad spot on the race...it had a slight vibration at all times before, even in neutral. Well that is gone now, but now this new one is here. Could a misaligned bearing/coupler do this? It almost feels like the shaft is bent, but it seems to smooth out when there is no angle on the joints.
Thanks in advance...
Joey
Old 04-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the u joints tight? What about your gimble bearing? Or the gimble pivot points? The trim limit switch could also be misadjusted causing you to over trim.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

Yes the joints felt tight, and I didn't feel any binding when moving them. So I just greased them and left them alone. The gimbal bearing is new, and so in is the limit switch. I set the switch by measuring the rams according to the manual.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that you have a Bravo and the extension of the cylinders are set no more than 21.75" bolt to bolt?...Also, what condition is your prop in? If a blade is slightly out you will get a vibration at certain angles of trim and a little in the no-wake...Lastly, did you check the alignment when changing out all those parts?...
Old 04-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered

No I didn't check alignment, but I borrowed the tool and I'm going to check tonight. The prop is one that I had on the boat last year, but took it off because of the gear ratio. It was fine when I took it off. Just sat in the garage all winter.