Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OT: Favorite Tool Manufacturer >

OT: Favorite Tool Manufacturer

Notices
View Poll Results: Favorite Tool Manufacturer?
Matco
4.95%
Snap-On
53.15%
Craftsman
36.04%
Other
5.86%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

OT: Favorite Tool Manufacturer

Old 04-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mac
Old 04-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I've been happy with my Craftsman tools, but I'm not a professional wrencher. When I was in the building and remodeling business, I bought nothing but the best caprentry tools because they lasted longer and were more precise, so I can understand where the others are coming from.

But like many pointed out above, Sears is always open for that replacement tool and economical too. I suspect for the weekend warrior, they will do just fine.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Registered

If I was a mechanic, Snap-On. But I’m not, so Craftsman does the job well enough for my needs. Plus it has a life time warranty, and I don’t have to chase down a Snap-On truck every time I need a new tool.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Registered

I agree, Craftsman works just fine for me. I don't use them for a living and love how easy it is to replace a broken tool. I've only had to replace a few broken ones over the years (mine usually get misplaced). There are better tools then Craftsman, I just don't need them

Last edited by Red Stripe; 04-27-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:34 PM
FFO
Registered

I used to be a mech. The shop I worked at had snap-on . Nice tool's ! To me snap-on or mac are not worth the money unless they are specialty tools . Which craftsman does not make.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Registered

I have some Craftsman stuff which is pretty good for all the above reasons, although i will agree that their rachets arent all that great. If your gonna go with craftsman, id suggest getting a higher quality rachet or 2. Youll be glad you did.
I also have a bunch of tools made by a european company called Facomb. VERY good stuff. Id compare it with mac or craftsman any day. They cost quite a bit more than craftsman. Each year i add a little to my collection. Theyre my favorite. check out their website http://www.facomb.com . Anyone else ever hear of\use them???
Old 04-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by convincor
Craftsman.
What do you do when you break a snap-on or Mac tool on saturday afternoon.
Sears is open 7 day's..
And half the price.
They don't break (I can count on one hand the number of Snap-on tools I've broken), so it isn't an issue.

I wrench for a living. Snap-On or Mac at work, and it's a huge investment. I'm glad I bought the bulk of it nearly 20 years ago.

I do own quite a few Craftsman tools for the home, and they work fine there. I just would not consider them for professional duty.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:10 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I like snap on the best, but I buy Mac, which are just as good, but not quite as ergonomic. My snap on dealer has stuff marked up over retail, costs so much you'd think they were boat parts!!
Old 04-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Registered

Wink

You forgot S&K!

Most of my tools are Craftsman. For the price I can by two sets and take the broken ones back for free replacements while still having a backup.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Registered

I have over 150k in tool's, 95% are Snap On. I use to have some Matco and Mac and Cornwell. But got sick of having 3 tool guy's so every time Snap On put on a promo where you could trade in stuff for Snap On stuff I would.

I have about 5k in Craftsman and other stuff at home witch works fine for most of the small job's.

You can't beat Snap On's hand tool's, wrenches, sockets, If it's rounded off most of the time they will still grab when the others wont. I make my living turning wrenches and Snap On makes it a lot easer.

I have needed or broke a tool on the weekend 3 or 4 time's every time I called my Snap On guy and went and picked it up from him, once he brought it to me. For me the Snap On guy is a lot closer than Sears. Those guy's make their living selling tool's and most turned a wrench for a living before. If you treat them right the will hook you up. 0% interest off the truck, will Sears let you do that forever?

Last edited by Lapse of Reason; 04-27-2003 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: Favorite Tool Manufacturer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.