Got my plugs changed!

Notices

Got my plugs changed!

Old 05-20-2003, 06:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Got my plugs changed!

Well kind of, I hired one of my employees (skinny guy) to change the plugs on my twin 502 x whipples. I have stainless marine exhaust and straight pipes. I found it impossible for me to do it. I asked him and he said no-problem.

Well 6 hours later and 4 or 5 good scratches and a few bruises he got them changed. From the look on his face I don't think he will do it again.

It was the inner plugs that were the problem, the engines are practically touching. I ended up flipping the engine hatch all the way back on a ladder so he could get a better reach.

It blows my mind how manufactures of boats place the engines in such un accessable places. It would seem easier to pull one engine. The whipples didn't help any either.

My nex boat will be a staggered set up for sure.

I am going to start it today I hope he got everything back together correctly.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats why I installed new plugs while motors were out for new couplers. Only 2" between the 2 inner exhaust manifolds.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I used a AC rapid fire #1 Hopefully they will not foul out as soon as the NGK's that were in it. The engines do run a little rich as they are blown. The plugs I removed were pretty black but not really fouled yet.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I started to change mine the other day and ended up saying the h#$ll with this! I have less than 30 hours on them and they look fine. Next year I will have to change them and now that I have good but tight fitting Taylor wires I'm not to sure how I will get the wires on and off with the Gill manifolds. I may have to pull one motor just to get this job done.

Anyone have a good (great) Idea for getting the wires on and off? Yes I have dielectric grease in the boots.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On the 500EFI I have in the warehouse it looks like it would be easier to change them out with CMI's rather than the GIL or Stainless marine Cast Aluminum type manafolds. Kind of an expensive upgrade in order to change the plugs though
Old 05-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Registered

Thats why they put the mirrors on the engine hatch, when you're changing the inner plugs it looks like you're making love to the motors
Old 05-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

My last 7 boats were 2 outboards, 2 staggered, 1 cat, a pwc, and a cruiser. No problem with plugs on any of them.
Gary
Old 05-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Did my plugs on Sunday. Third plug back on inside bank of port engine drove me nuts ! I needed another elbow joint in my lower arm. Also my ribs are killing me.

ed
Old 05-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Registered

I have no choice but to pull engines. 1/4" between them and no way to get at them from under. Oh well, isnt boating fun.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Buy an Active Thunder----The plugs can be changed on both engines in my 32'A/T within about 30-40 minutes. Maybe it's easier because I have Stellings headers, but A/T's have a ton of engine room in them---the back support of the back seat goes up with the engine hatch and makes it very nice to work on the engines---it's a marine mechanic's dream!

Quick Reply: Got my plugs changed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.