Notices

crane box?

Old 05-29-2003, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I will admit that I have THREE (3) Crane boxes in my engine bay. One is a spare just in case one breaks when I'm either out in the middle of the lake or whatever, it's ALWAYS nice to have a spare if you can afford it. It's a great troubleshooter and provides quick process of elimination when trying to trouble shoot problems if needed. I would have a spare no matter WHAT BRAND it is! It's a big headache/time saver
Old 05-29-2003, 11:32 PM
CigProject

Question Crane or MSD Piggyback on Thunderbolt IV Ignition

OK everyone. How about piggybacking a CD ignition with the inductive output of a Thunderbolt IV ignition. Has anyone heard of this lately? I have seen MSD advertise a box that is supposed to work with a new car system that is 4 channel. Any intelligent input is welcome.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see what Ive started

the main reasons I m thinking about crane is revlimiter built in advance curve (no need to use thunderbolt box) and its all in the same box for a good price . if I m right the msd you have to buy additional boxes to do the same thing.
I have nothing against msd and know of a bunch being ran with no problems and if I was a engine builder Id probaly recomend them to got to stick to what you know works, Id hate to use a customer as a test
Old 05-30-2003, 02:34 AM
FindMe

MSD can be triggered off of the pickup itself without the module on Thunderbolt V ign systems... "just like MSD" Ohhhh, that's Cranes advertisement...lol

The 6M-2 can be triggered by either a magnetic pickup (distributor or crank trigger), amplifier or by a breaker point distributor
. The cable harness has the proper connector so you can plug the 6M-2 into one of the Pro-Billet MSD Marine Distributors.
MSD TECH LINES are open Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm Mountain Standard Time.

Ya... you can tell by the extended support times, Crane has their she-it together... several hours a week more than MSD. Hmmmmmmmmm?
The hours for our Crane Cams tech support lines are 8 AM to 8 PM Monday through Thursday, and 8 AM to 5 PM Friday, Eastern Time Zone.
NEW! Cross Reference to MSD™ Ignitions!
Ya, we "just like MSD... NOT!
So the Crane box has an adjustable rev limiter in increments of 100 rpm? You are telling me that 100 RPM one way or the other can blow up your motor? BULL PUCKIE... Anyone with the slightest of common sense knows that the "gernade mode" is not started or stopped by 100 RPM... so wasted crap to fail you don't need... good plan Crane.. NEW! Easy Checking for System Problems! No guessing! Built-in flashing codes tell what the problem is. Checks coil, ground, power supply, loose or broken wires and the ignition unit itself! (or more commonly known as idiot proof Well now... seems we have a problem Houston...lol Why doesn't MSD need usless features like that? Because most who use MSD can read, and understand important instructions to avoid damage... but hey... why not buy a Crane so we can watch the lights blink while we are brokedick in the water, and STILL go noplace? rotflmao... BD, face it.... theirs an ass for every seat right? I haven't had a MSD related failure for anything in 25 years... but I can read and comprehend important footnotes (the difference between men & boyeeeez).....

765,420 MSD boxes in use daily with no failures, 1037 Crane boxes that blink at you when they take a dump (but if it ain't 8pm yet, you can call them to confirm your SCREWED!) ROTFL... Like comparing apples and pistons... but you who are "marketing motivated" go for it and get a Crane ign... Ohhhh wait, does MSD make Funky cams like Crane, or do they, and have they always had the baddest ignition systems in the "real" racing loop, and ONLY ignition systems? Why don't you guys go buy a toilet made by a pressure washer company? (the kind the girlies like).... NUFF SAID Apples in one hand, pistons in the other..... yur killin me.... until MSD starts making funky cams like Crane... there's no arguement...PERIOD

Old 05-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Registered

screw it Im not going over 5000 rpms anyhow , I dont have a big cam or carb to make it load up so Ill just throw a rev limiter on it and be done with it, I only asked a question and didnt need a bunch of stupid answers
Old 05-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally posted by crmax
screw it Im not going over 5000 rpms anyhow , I dont have a big cam or carb to make it load up so Ill just throw a rev limiter on it and be done with it, I only asked a question and didnt need a bunch of stupid answers
findme, he talking about you????
Old 05-31-2003, 06:16 AM
FindMe

Jeez Waterfoul... I dunno, but if I was to lay money on it, I'd have to guess you are using a Mallory Ign system (lol) or better yet, something "Just like a MSD box" with a MSD distributor? Or maybe you have an MSD hydraulic roller solid falt tappet camshaft with Elgin lifters and think it's the good she-it cause you read in a magazine that its better than butter on your toast, and don't know the difference? Mismatching components, is like kissing your sister.... it's nice, but it don't mean anything... and also what keeps me in business. If Crane (just like MSD boxes) were So badd ass then Nascar, NHRA and the other racing series including the top boat engine builders would be using them, instead of a few black sheep who feel the need to be different. The percentage of MSD products that fail when properly installed <<< (key words) is miniscule & also another FACT, but Im not here to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person... and if your Mallory blows up your skirt thats cool too. And anyone who believes you have to have a big cam, carb, or anything else that doesn't match the rest of your components (aka overkill) is sadly misinformed as to the benefits of multiple spark discharge. It will make a positive difference on ANYTHING if used for its intended purpose and not used for a band-aid. And I also enjoy seeing others perspectives on topics like this... even the pot shots thrown out by those who know little or nothing about the engineering or technical side of them thar things everyone else has... rotfl And I must have missed the stupid answers, and all I have posted on this topic are Facts... but I DID happen to notice one stupid reply.... would you know anything about that?

Old 05-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by FindMe
If Crane (just like MSD boxes) were So badd ass then Nascar, NHRA and the other racing series including the top boat engine builders would be using them,
And if they REALLY bad aZZ , NASCAR would be running a SINGLE box and not have an onboard spare Now you know NASCAR's smart

CRMAX , You go for it bro.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:13 PM
FindMe

Well I tell you what "mopower... show me ONE SINGLE NASCAR TEAM that uses a Crane multiple spark discharge ignition system on their car, or where Crane ign is approved by Nascar in the rule book, and I will give you one hour at the intersection of your choice to draw a croud.... and I will gladly kiss your ass... Uhhhh huh... that's what I thought. And if you are nieve enough to think that whatever Nascar uses for ignition under the rules set forth by Nascar, and the single and ONLY electronic device of any kind allowed on a Nascar related to engine management will not carry a backup incase of a failure (most likely caused by something other than the box), when those guys are racing for 1 million dollars a race in many occasions, or for the 3 million dollar purse for winning the championship at the end of the year... and compare it to some guy who has too much money and no brains running around on the water, who pays others to give him bad advise and information for $120 an hour, and in no way shape or form associated with the reliable daily performance, or consistency required to be a winning Nascar team... then you got me on the battle of wits rule... So what if you can't provide proof of Crane ign's approval in the Nascar rulebook? Hmmmmmmmmm? Well, I know what.... before you step in it again, how about agreeing that what's good for some isn't for others, for whatever reason?
Cause their ain't a chance you can document what doesn't exist.... so instead of kissing your butt, how do you like your crow? lol I don't care one way or the other... you can't compare a 21 year olds boobs to a 87 year olds boobs can ya? Unless of course your name is really Mike Helton??? It's all good and discussions like these help guys make up their minds so they feel good about what they have chozen to run, no matter what it is, or who agrees or not right? Just don't try and go off on a "Nascar has 2 MSD ign boxes in the cars cause they have a high failure rate" OK? Go to http://jayski.thatsracin.com/ and go to the past race results and tell me how many cars have failed to complete a race in the past 3 years because of an MSD box failure will ya? heh heh heh... don't forget to count the weekly testing, qualifing and practice laps.. (like that is going to help you) you may find 3 if you are good.... Pigs is pigs, and hoggz is hoggz, if you want to debate the quality of 2 products under the stress of competition... at least pick 2 that are approved for use in a professional series like NASCAR that pays BIG money for consistentcy... not a bunch confused guys with boats who whould rather use junk than admit there's no comparison. And for sure, have a nice weekend... I lived on the water all my life, and been boating for 7/8th's of it... nothing can or will get me off the water, but I won't use things that are not proven under the conditions that I run my **** under, cause Im a fulltime maniac when Im on the water and don't like being towed in for anything.... that ain't what it's all about my friend... ~ peace ~

Old 05-31-2003, 09:26 PM
Registered

What a maroon. LOL

Quick Reply: crane box?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.