Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Borg Warner Velvet Drive Problem >

Borg Warner Velvet Drive Problem

Notices

Borg Warner Velvet Drive Problem

Old 06-03-2003, 09:51 PM
Kohldog

Default Borg Warner Velvet Drive Problem

A cruiser buddy of mine is having a problem with one of his Borg Warner Velvet drives. The mechanic screwed up when the boat was put in the water and left the filter off of the A/C line with an open seacock. A LOT of fresh water came into the engine compartment and he thinks there is a possibility that it was pretty high on the tranny's or even covering them. (Of course the mechanic said nothing about the high water untill my buddy found battery boxes full of water. then he fessed up about what he did) Anyway, now one of the tranny's is stuck in forward and the mechanic says it's shot. The mechanic claims the water problem didn't cause the tranny problem but I'm wondering what the OSO techies think. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, anyone have any ideas on a place to get a rebuilt 71 series Borg warner?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Last edited by Kohldog; 06-04-2003 at 08:06 AM.

Old 06-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts
When yous say "stuck in forward" has anyone removed the shifter cable and tried to move the trans. linkage by hand?.
The forward and reverse actuator on a 71 c just basicaly is
a valve which diverts Hydraulic presure from the forward clutch
pack to the reverse cluch pack sometimess in the beginning of the season if not used it freezes up. Try spraying wd40 or equivalent while grabing the linkage and easaly work it back in forth. has anyone checked to see what the trans fluid looks like?
water contamination (milky white). The borg and warner trans
is a very simple trans. any compatent Transmission shop could tackle that. As a matter of fact the Forward cluth assembly
steels and shims are used in the old ford cast iron trans.

as for parts here: www.simplicity-marine.com
or www.go-fast.com

These web sites should be helpful.
Just my advice.
Good luck
Old 06-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Kohldog

Caveman,

The shift linkage was removed and checked with no results other than forward. He doesn't know the color of the fluid because the mechanic had removed the trany while he was not at the boat. I also have my friend checking the fluid on the other tranny to see if there is any discoloration. The tranny shop idea is great as we have another buddy who's the owner of one.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Kohldog; 06-04-2003 at 08:08 AM.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When B/W trannys go bad, that's just what they usually do: lock in forward. If they are the earlier ones with the paper(fiber) clutches and you got ANY water in there, then its rebuild time. Use the bronze clutches when you rebuild; they are more forgiving about that sort or thing. And yes; the guy that let the water in should spring for the repair!
Old 06-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

TRANSMISSION MARINE IN FT. LAUDERDALE SELLS NEW B/W At good prices. bought a new 72c for 1500.00. by the time you send out for repair , parts, labor cheaper to by a new unit .that's what i did. if you have someone who does trannys you will save on the labor.