Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trs  question >

Trs question

Notices

Trs question

Old 06-04-2003, 09:14 PM
cartman

Question Trs question

Looking at a project boat with twin trs drives no engines or trannys drives are in excelent shape had b-w trannys should I try to scrounge up 2 trannys or repower to different drives. I was planing on using small blocks.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Drives....

cartman,
It really depends on what you want. I personaly like TRS drives because they are work horses of there day. The boats seem to handle well with them and they are great around the docks. With small blocks you probably wont even have a issue of breaking. If you wanted to you could even find transmissions and have someone do a rebuild and make them eight plate so they last alittle longer and hold more power.Not to mention they shift smooth, no forcing in and out of gear. No towers breaking. Just rebiuld the drives, run a good gear oil in them like the old gear lube from Mercury and put in a good additive like ProBlend and let her eat.
I think you will be very happy with it when all is said and done. Feel free to give me a call or email me if you have any other questions.

Pwrbt33- John S.
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1

Old 06-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cartman you will be FINE with the TRS drives. If you are going to go Small Blocks you can even run the Merc trans. That is all I have in my big block boat. I will try and get in touch with ya soon.

Jon
Old 06-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll just need a couple rebuilt trannys, bell housings & coolers, etc. to set it up for the TRS. That costs around $2500.
For Bravos, you'll need to glass/recut the transom, buy gimbals, drives, maybe new steering. Remount the motors, etc. $$$$$$$
Sounds like a lot of cost and work for a less reliable drive.
Gary
Old 06-05-2003, 03:40 PM
cartman

Thanks guys really want to keep the trs was just wondering how available are used b-w tranny to merc and what is the better for the money?

Old 06-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Cartman, them old TRS drives are worth next to nothing but I`ll do the neighborly thing and take them off your hands for you
Old 06-05-2003, 05:23 PM
cartman

Hey Biggus whats up? at least I'll know where to get parts I think there is a trs parts store just down the street

Old 06-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

More like at the bottom of Long lake!!!!!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:00 PM
cartman

Old 06-09-2003, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont have to worry about finding Merc trannys because you probably wont. Very obsolete.
Go with the BW velvet drive. They're available EVERYWHERE.
Gary

Quick Reply: Trs question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.