Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil pressure sensor locations >

Oil pressure sensor locations

Notices

Oil pressure sensor locations

Old 06-06-2003, 08:20 PM
gofastpilot

Question Oil pressure sensor locations

On a HP 500 carb motor can someone please advise as to what the block locations are for all the oil pressure and oil temp. sensors.......thanks..........gofastpilot

Old 06-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Finding senders ....

gofastpilot,
On a 500 HP you can usually find the oil pressure sending unit over the back of the engine just above the bell housing and just under the intake. Some of the early models had this unit as well as the oil temp on the port side of the motor just above the oil remote where it mounts to the motor. Depending on the manufacturer of the boat, the oil temp sender could be on the port side as described above or in the oil filter remote on the back of the port cylinder head.

If you have any questions feel free to call the shop.

Pwrbt33- John S.
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1
Old 06-07-2003, 08:44 AM
gofastpilot

Pwrbt33, Correct me on this ....the 2 terminal oil pressure switch that is tapped into the remote oil filter housing on the upper back of the motor, does one wire go to the + terminal of the coil and one wire go to the electric choke term. on the carb?

I think you are right about the pressure port in the block upper back. Someone before me had their fingers in the wiring.
I would really like to get my hands on a wiring diagram for a 1994 HP500. Mercruiser dealers are not real helpful with free info......................gofastpilot

Old 06-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Wiring nightmares....

gofastpilot,
Yes, the two wires going to the hobbs switch is for the electric choke. One wire goes to the + side of the coil and the other to the choke housing. If you want to give me a fax number and I will fax you both halves of the wiring diagram on Monday if thats not to late. I'm home now so that wont help til then. Or you can call me at the shop on Monday and I'll fax it then. Let me know.

Pwrbt33- John S.
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1