Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 under water   !!! >

496 under water !!!

Notices

496 under water !!!

Old 06-08-2003, 10:36 AM
stevejohns

Default 496 under water !!!

My bud had something freaky happen to his new boat. The waterline above his boat broke and filled the boat with water. The bung was in sadly. The boat filled completely , floating the oil out of the motor , imagine what he saw when he opened the boat house , oil driping over the edges! It was under water for about a week. The insurance co is replacing the interior and a bunch of electrical parts. What do you think about the motor , the shops says just to drain it change the oil fire it and then change the oil again. Id be a lil worried! Any opinions as to problems he's likley to see or ideas on what else should be done to it. Thanks sj

Old 06-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's time to change shops. I'm sure that there are lots of GOOD reputable engine builders that will impress upon the ins.co. that a COMPLETE overhaul is the least that they owe him! Good luck!! --- Jer
Old 06-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming that it was fresh water. Even still, he'll never get all the water out, especially in the bearings and tight spots. The only right way to do it is to tear it down and rebuild!!! I would not settle for less. Has he spoken to Merc? If they agree then get it in writing to show the ins. company.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally posted by Pure Energy
I am assuming that it was fresh water. Even still, he'll never get all the water out, especially in the bearings and tight spots. The only right way to do it is to tear it down and rebuild!!! I would not settle for less. Has he spoken to Merc? If they agree then get it in writing to show the ins. company.
This is where I would start. I would NOT give up on the insurance company yet.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:38 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

he needs a new engine. The insurance company is trying to cheap out.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:16 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Besides the obvious problems with the engine being under water----What about all the electronics on that 496??? He needs more than a rebuild.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

do not accept a repair!!! there is no way to put the boat to previous condition ,ask your insurance company if the next time your in the middle of the lake and it wont start because of a corrosion problem,if they will come tow you in personally and get his home phone # so you can reach him on Sunday...I have been fighting the insurance company for years in my auto business,believe me they wont be there for you a year later ,make them total it!!!,if your comfortable repairing it and can deal with future problems buy it back then fix it this way you will have 20k to 30k less in your boat to help with future repair bills ask your so called shop guy if you can fill his car and engine up with water and then let him drive it across the dessert by himself see what he thinks then,this guy is not looking out for you he is looking to put some quick cash in his pocket I think a new shop is in order.Ask a boat surveyer how much he depreciates a boat when he discovers in been at the bottom,still not sure,, go weigh it, compared to a same boat thats new
Old 06-08-2003, 08:47 PM
stevejohns

thanks guys sj