Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
high water pressure >

high water pressure

Notices

high water pressure

Old 06-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to the thru transom mounted pick up is likely to further raise your water pressure. On my drive the water enters into a 5/8" hole, which really creates a lot of ram. I am a thermostat fan rather than the flow restrictors. That could very well be where part of your problem lies along with the McMaster Carr valve. The valve and tee I use likely has more flow capacity than the McMaster valve. Does your crossover have a bypass? If it does then my tee and valve system will fix your pressure problem as well as allow you to run a thermostat to maintain consistent temps whether idleing or running WOT. I have a couple of valves and tees left and if you are still having problems after your new pick up I will ship a set for you to try and if it works you can pay me, if not send it back. The check valves I have are preset at 5 PSI cracking pressures and tee into the inlet line before your strainer or sea water pump and dump water once inlet ram hits 5 PSi. The check limits the inlet pressure and stops spikes before they even get to youe sea water pump. Stainless Marine has a similar setup on their sea strainers. Good luck and PM me if you want to take me up on my offer.
Craig
Old 06-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in touch. The first thing is to get this back up and running. The transom pickup is being added because, even the low water pickup isn't low enough. I'm sucking air, buring up the pump and thus cooking the motor. Hopefully, the new pickup will induce some reliability.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: Is 33 at wot too much?

Originally posted by fountain27ho496
Just curious, never had a water pressure gauge before.
Stock power, was out last night it gets close to the
max on the gauge. Thanks JC
The 496 has a closed cooling system. I would guess your pressure is tapped off of a water line after the sea water pump. Since the engine cooling system is isolated from the Sea Water side the engine doesn’t see the high pressure. The coolers can take more pressure than the engine. If this is the case you will be fine. Let us know where Fountain is taking the pressure reading.
Dan

Last edited by candyman35; 06-13-2003 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Registered

Default Duh, I should have known that

Thanks candyman, I'm concerned about nothing.
I'll check anyway to see where they tapped it. JC
Old 06-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Kentz

The 496's are tapped @ the pump. Merc. has a low press. alarm, part of its guardian package if your's is connected. It includes drive oil resevoir, start-up squeal, etc. (mine stuff is in a bag where it belongs).

Old 06-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Registered

Wette;
How do I get information on your bleed off system?
Old 06-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tantrum or anyone else interested just send me a PM with your phone number and I will call you to discuss your application.
Craig
Old 06-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Registered

Hooked garden hose up to headers and they flowed great (took sparkplugs out to be safe), will try "t" and valve tomorrow as its fathers day and wife can't say no to helping me.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Registered

Default HIGH PSI

Fresh water cooled, normal water pressures before rebuilds, did the "T" s with valves before headers, opened full and pressure dosen't drop, 2500 rpm 35 psi, 3000 rpm 45 psi approx, did this test with boat on plane and with boat in neutral to eliminate ram effect, any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2003, 11:23 PM
Registered

jeffg,
That eliminates the headers as the problem. What changed? Did you install a cross over to replace the circulating pump? Could there be a wrong gasket being used? Maybe some water passage is blocked. Are you reading the pressure at the same point you used to? Where are you tapping off for the pressure gauge? If it's not the headers then something had to change. It would be better to fix the problem than just install a dump like I did. My problem came from the factory. I still have no idea why my stock 454 mags had high pressure. I think that's one of the reasons Merc is going to closed cooling systems. Let us know.
Hope it can get figured out soon.
Dan

Quick Reply: high water pressure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.