Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
bravo1 resevoir overflowing >

bravo1 resevoir overflowing

Notices

bravo1 resevoir overflowing

Old 06-18-2003, 09:49 AM
kbush2

Angry bravo1 resevoir overflowing

i recently removed the oudrives from my 2000 342 baja. after replacing with new seals, i refilled the drives and cleaned and refilled the resevoirs to their proper limits. on my starboard drive, after about 15 minutes of running, the fluid rises out and overflows out of the resevoir. when the boat sits the fluid returns to normal. i though it might be air so i bleed some fluid out and refilled, but the problem persists. anyone have this problem?

Old 06-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you fill the drives?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:19 PM
kbush2

filled them from the bottom drain hole behind the prop with the merucruy hand lube pump that attaches to the lube bottle

Old 06-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each drive should use about 2.5 to 3 quarts. If you do not unscrew the vent at the top of the drive and pump till it overflows. If you don't do this then pressure builds in the drive and you can only get about a quart in. Top off the reservoir when finished.

Assuming you did the above. Check your oil. If milky then its a bad seal job. If not then you have air in the drive.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fill mine, including the reservoir, totally from the bottom plug. I have found that by removing the top plug and filling it till it overflows and then pouring oil into the reservoir bottle that the level in the bottle drops every time I run it for half the summer. I thought the drive was leaking because I had to keep adding oil to the bottle. Since I started filling the bottle thru the drive the oil does not drop in the bottle. I assume that some air gets trapped in the drive if I only fill it to the level of the top plug first and works its' way out a little at a time. This may not be the right way to do it but it works for me.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by MACDAD260
I fill mine, including the reservoir, totally from the bottom plug. I have found that by removing the top plug and filling it till it overflows and then pouring oil into the reservoir bottle that the level in the bottle drops every time I run it for half the summer. I thought the drive was leaking because I had to keep adding oil to the bottle. Since I started filling the bottle thru the drive the oil does not drop in the bottle. I assume that some air gets trapped in the drive if I only fill it to the level of the top plug first and works its' way out a little at a time. This may not be the right way to do it but it works for me.
I did mine the same way this year and from now on will do it this way. Did not have to keep topping off the bottles.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kbush2,
Try swapping the reservoir caps. If the problem changes sides replace the cap. The system runs pressurized and will overflow if cap leaks.
Dan
Old 06-19-2003, 04:44 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Ran into this and here is a quote from the post I made after it was resolved. BTW I have 3 spare caps now!!!

Originally posted by GLH
BTW.
Shane, Excavator, Otis 311, Kanookstr, Charlie from the boatworks, JS 232 and anybody else that I expained my drive expension tank problem I have finally figured out what the F it was...
The freaking CAP I was checking the oil while the blowers were runing at the end of the day before cranking up to leave and JS asked me have you flipped those caps around on those twins like all the other guys named here suggested addressing this problem but to me it made to little sense, those plastic caps can't fail.... Wrong I switched them since JS reminded me and I was down there... Hauled rear end back and sure enough the opposit drive's expension tank overflows. Well finally *(%#$(*&^%!@#$ I have the solution to what has me buying drive showers, hesitating to go WOT all the time, not sleeping at night and whatever else. I am ordering 3 of those caps tomorrw and I will BLOW up the failed one in a quart of gasoline just to make me feel good. Cheap fix, I like those!!!!