Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Deformed Coupler Splines??!! >

Deformed Coupler Splines??!!

Notices

Deformed Coupler Splines??!!

Old 06-20-2003, 12:13 PM
liquid lounge

Angry Deformed Coupler Splines??!!

Just got my new alingnment tool from Mercstuff...could not get the engine aligned....took a socket that measured .005 less than the alignment tool and it won't go into the coupler, WTF!!?? The socket and the tool slide right in a new coupler I have. Can the splines just deform like this? I'm running about 400hp and everything is less than 2 years old. I really don't want to pull the engine The engine alignment is so out of whack now , Ill never get the drive back on. Me thinks I'm screwed...any ideas? Thanks in advance, Berg

Old 06-20-2003, 12:19 PM
liquid lounge

Default Don't Laugh...

...but could I take a 1.01" bar and lightly tap it in the coupler to reform the splines....the coupler is almost trash anyway. I really don't want to pull this motor till after the 4th.

Old 06-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Scott72

Sounds to me like your just way out of line. My alignment tool wouldn't go in unless close to alignment. I've seen coupler teeth that are worn, but never deformed. A mechanic taught me that once you get it to go in the coupler, grease the alignment tool splines and when you pull it back out, the grease will show you if you are high or low.

Old 06-20-2003, 12:57 PM
liquid lounge

Thanks for the reply Scott.....but I took a socket that measures just under the alignment tool, and with a long extension tried to insert into the coupler but it wouldn't go[alignment here was no issue]...so, because of the lack of aluminum particles on the tail, I've concluded the splines must be deformed....but I hear ya, it seems like if this was possible, someone else would of had this problem. thanks

Old 06-20-2003, 01:19 PM
outlawntexas

Liquid,
It sounds like pay me now or pay me later. Even IF you could re-assemble the outdrive, you would probably shear it on the water. I spun one this past spring. Both engines were way out of alignment BUT we found the cause. The mounting bolts, all 4 on each engine, were loose. The mechanic that did the work showed me how he can insert the alignment tool with 2 fingers of force. He also applied a coating of grease to verify equal engagement/pressure on the shaft and spline.

That engine will probably be coming out.

Good luck,
Bruce...

Old 06-20-2003, 03:13 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liquid lounge;

Personally I don't like alignment tools. I feel there is room for error with them. To check alignment, I use an old input shaft that I welded to 15" pipe . Takes any and all guess work out of alignment. By the way, just to make sure-- did you measure to diameter of your input shaft on your drive? Maybe the tool is over by a few thousandths. If you do measure the input, don't forget to measure across the inside of the splines.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:02 PM
liquid lounge

Thanks for the input guys....I just used a sledge hammer and finally beat the tool in, so I guess it's aligned now, huh? We will see how this jerryrigging turns out. Check, I am confident the alignment tool is close as it goes right in a new coupler that I have. I found a piece of Chinese pipe at the hardware store that meassures 1.005" that I tap,tap, tapped in and out about fifty times...I have finally got the tool in...I guess we will see

Old 06-20-2003, 05:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

To check alignment, I use an old input shaft that I welded to 15" pipe .
Me too.

Liquid,
How much trouble did you have getting the chinese pipe
out of the coupler / gimbal bearing after driving
it in with a hammer ?

jt
Old 06-30-2003, 10:18 AM
liquid lounge

Exclamation

Just thought I'd bring this thread back up for two reasons:
1]I now believe that indeed my probem was the coupler splines deforming, probably due to misalignment... I feel that the aluminum female splines of the coupler were pushed up to a point shape that decreased the coupler ID and wouldn't allow the alignment tool to slide in. I also don't think this means the coupler is necessarily ruined...it has worked fine. I will replace it the next time the motor is pulled if it hasn't failed by then....I'm kind of thinking that with my power level, it will be just fine...we will see.
2] I have re-read this thread and want everyone to know that I was just kidding about beating the alignment tool in with a sledge....please don't try this.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:32 AM
liquid lounge

[i]
Liquid,
How much trouble did you have getting the chinese pipe
out of the coupler / gimbal bearing after driving
it in with a hammer ?

jt [/B]
jt- sorry for the delayed response. After LIGHTLY tapping the Chinese pipe in with Merc spline grease, I then rotated it a few times in both directions until it easily slid out.

Quick Reply: Deformed Coupler Splines??!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.