HELP with wiring (trailer) >

HELP with wiring (trailer)

Notices

Old 06-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having trouble with my wiring on my magic tilt trailer. I can't get my tail lights/running lights to work right. The stop lights and turn signals work fine. I put a new trailer to vehicle connector on hoping this was the problem. WRONG! While doing so I noticed that the trailer wires had a white,green,yellow,yellow-brown and green-brown wires. My truck connector only has white,green,yellow and brown wires. So I spliced the two brown combo wires (brown-yellow and brown-green) together on the trailer right before it gets to the trailer connector. Well this won't work...If I have the lights on and connect brown wire one at a time they work. If I then unplug the connectors from one anouther and then reconnect them they don't work I made sure none of the brown wires were touching one-anouther or grounding out but that still didnt' work. I guess some vehicles have five wire(four-plug) connectors. My trailer HAD a five wire/four plug connector but when I replaced the connector I used a four wire/plug connector....Question is why is this happening and does it have anything to do with the five wire system ON MY TRAILER. I just can't figure out why when I disconnect the connectors the running lights quit. Reconnect the wires (ONE AT A TIME and seperate from each other) and they work UNTIL THE NEXT disconnect.....Here is the picture of my old 5 wire connector from the trailer. Does anyone make these?????? I can only find the 4 wire/plug ones for the trailer. The 5 wire/4plug ones are only for the vehicle......

BH
Attached Thumbnails HELP with wiring (trailer)-mvc-010f.jpg  
Old 06-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Registered

First make sure you have a good bare metal ground. Then start your process over again! If you can't figure it out, go to your local U-Haul dealer and have them do it for you. These guys deal with this stuff every day, and are complimented if you ask for their help.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking WIRED !!!!

BAD-HABIT,
As you know the WHITE wire is your ground. Make sure it is grounded either through the plug or to the trailer frame itself. The YELLOW wire goes to the left hand turn and stop lamp. The GREEN wire is your right hand turn and stop lamp. Last but not least is your 2 brown wires, these are your running lights. Only connect the 2 brown wires together. All the others go to there own circuit.

Hope this helps.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
1-877-GOFAST1
Old 06-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I agree, you probably have ground issues. Besides the ground from the connector being well grounded, be sure each individual light is grounded to the frame properly.
Pwrbt33 is right about how to c onnect your 2 brown wires and what color goes where.