BIG A$$ cherry picker?

Notices

BIG A$$ cherry picker?

Old 06-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BIG A$$ cherry picker?

anyone ever modify a cherry picker to pull engines out of there boat? I'm getting sick of begging for a hilo all the time. I've got an arch so a A frame wont work. a hilo works great but it would be nice to be self suficiant. I think if I make the mast about 4' higher I could get it out. I think I would make some bigger out riggers too, what do you think will it work?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending how long you make the arm you may have to beef up the mounting for the hydrolics. It would suck to drop a motor on the boat.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Registered

Don,....find a big ol maple or an oak tree with a healthy limb hanging out of it that will hold a BBC.....we used to have one at my Dads old house that worked great....no I don't live in Kentucky....it's Chartucky!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Registered

I designed a ram extender for mine because I needed about 6 more inches of vertical lift. Slips on or off in seconds and works great. Let me know if you'd like a picture. I've pulled my engines numerous times problem free with this cherry picker arrangement. I also have an acad file if you want to fab one.

Dave
Old 06-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Fred your forgetting my freekin arch! I need to pick it up from below the arch. blue thunder thanks for the info but I'll need more than 6" for sure. I thought if I just added to the length of the mast and the out riggers it would work.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I don't know why you're so hung up on the arch. The first time that you pull the engine with an overhead hoist it'll self clearance and that'll solve the problem.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Registered

I use a forklift!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Krumby I do too! but I have to beg borrow or steal one all the time! It gets old after a while.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:21 PM
GNJ2

Lightbulb engne hoist modification

Dyno:

I have a regular 4000lb engine crane which I bought at Discount Auto parts for $199 and modified it to lift motors in and out of my skater & fountain. I made two mods. Here's what I did.
First mod:
At the pole base, I added (2) 6"x 6"x1/4" square pipe stacked and bolted on top of each other. I remounted the pole base on top of the square pipe and redrilled new holes. The engine crane had thick metal side strap supports that went from the legs up towards the top of the pole which bolted onto the side. I redrilled new holes south of the existing ones. Overall, I added another 13" to the height of the crane. Since the ram is so long, it did not sacrifice picking up an engine from the floor for me.

Second mod:
I extended the reach about 6 inches by extending the boom out past the last hole and redrilling a new hole 6" farther down from the last one. I can still pick a complete 502 out without any structual integrity problem. Most mechanical lifting apparatus's are not designed at the limits of their capabilities and depending on what you have, you probably could modify yours to fit your needs. Within reason of course.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Registered

Hell, Just Throw A Log Chain Over That Radar Ach Then Use A Comealong And It Out

Quick Reply: BIG A$$ cherry picker?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.