AC 1 number? >

AC 1 number?

Notices

AC 1 number?

Old 06-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 1 number?

Anyone have the number for the AC 1 Rapid Fire plugs to run in a 2000 454 Mag handy? Had it, lost it now, can't find it.
I already tried getting a cross refrence from the stock NGK-BR6FS plug but the NAPA man couldn't come up with a number.
Also, A gap around .40 for a Mag with minor mods sound good?

MUCHO THANKS !
Old 06-27-2003, 10:25 AM
bobby daniels

Please don't go with the rapid fire they waste your money its like adding stp in your oil ,,only worse just use the right plugs ,if you don't believe they don't help cut the ground straps off regular plugs and they will run ,,, the trick is cut the ground strap back half way across the center with side cutters and regap and they do help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

They are A/C Rapid Fires,, the part # is 1. They do help prevent fouling at idle as they heat up faster when cold during original start up when most fouling occurs.

They also help to clean up transom soot as they burn more of the fuel in the cyl.

BUT I have also heard that ANY extended tip plug will do the same thing. I have run them for 3 seasons now. Personally,,, I like them.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:41 PM
bobby daniels

wish I knew how they heated up faster and well lets stop there I'm glad you like them

Old 06-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use the correct heat range and it will do the same

[QUOTE]Originally posted by obnoxus
[B]They are A/C Rapid Fires,, the part # is 1. They do help prevent fouling at idle as they heat up faster when cold during original start up when most fouling occurs.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not my words. I guess the guys who wrote the article in Powerboat dont know what they are talking about.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:06 AM
bobby daniels

Most of them just believe the typed hype they are furnished and have little or no hands on experance ,,I know for a fact I know
very little but I look at alot of the stuff on oil additives ect as infomercheil s ( spelling I 'm worse on board )

Old 06-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Adivanman

Default Race Plugs...

Have you seen the spark plugs that they use in Winston Cup Racing? or Formula 1 for that matter? They may not use Rapidfire plugs but they sure the heck don't use recessed tip MR43T's. (Then again, they do not run 500" big blocks at 5000 RPM on the water either so don't I see why you would choose to compare our needs to theirs.) But, just to set the record straight, Champion Spark Plugs (the supplier of plugs to DEI and several other Winston Cup teams) says this...

"Surface Gap "V" Gap: A surface gap plug provides exactly what its name describes... a gap at the surface of the combustion chamber. The gap is a .050" annular configuration. The center electrode and insulator tip operate extremely cold (no heat range rating) and are, therefore, nearly impervious to pre-ignition. However, fouling deposits are always present and cannot burn away. These types have limited use in racing. A special ignition system with very high energy and a very fast rise time (CD) is required to fire the gap when fouling deposits are present. The insulator tip does not operate hot enough to allow reading of the spark plug during engine tuning. The exceptions are the G52V and G54V which have surface air gaps with sufficient insulator nose length to give some heat range. These are used in Formula 1 engines. C53VC, C55VC, and C57VC are of similar design and use a 14mm thread diameter. These are designed for small-block Ford and Chevy engines used in Winston Cup type racing. There are also "S" type plugs available in this design with identical heat ranges."

Other teams (in Nascar) prefer variations of side gapped plugs like the...

"Angled "A" Gap: The angled ground wire is designed for V8 and V6 engines used in Winston Cup, Busch, and Trans Am type cars. The fine center electrode reduces required voltage. The angled ground electrode is shorter and provides a more exposed gap. This design may offer greater durability in some applications."

And Champion goes on to say...

"Projected Nose "Y" Gap: This gap style projects the spark an additional .060" into the combustion chamber for a total projection of .210", and providing there is sufficient clearance to valves and pistons, provides the ultimate in performance. Initiating the flame front closer to the center of the combustion chamber has a similar effect to advancing the timing. Therefore, maximum timing may be reduced which helps reduce the chance of detonation and provides superior part throttle response. A second valuable feature of this style is a "broader" heat range. The core nose is longer, providing a "hotter" plug at low speed which helps prevent fouling. As engine speed increases, the incoming air/fuel mixture flows across the tip of the core nose, providing charge cooling which effectively reduces heat range at higher engine speeds for increased pre-ignition and detonation protection."

Seems to me that the guys who have spent the most money see the value in Projected Tip Plugs even though they recommend a different plug for Formula 1 and NASCAR.

And, I would hazard to guess, that if you installed a Winston Cup style spark plug in your offshore, you would have a less than long term appreciation for their performance. Unless you happen to be running a high compression, high rpm, aftermarket ignition, aluminum cylinder head racing engine, in which case you may, in fact, find some performance. Otherwise, you should be able to foul them beyond use before you make it back to the dock.

A lot of the benefit that people see when moving to the Rapidfire #1 is not due to the rapidfire electrode design (which seems to constantly change) but due to the switch to a projected tip spark plug. It is also worth noting that the Rapidfire #1 is not the same heat range as the specified Mercury Racing spark plug (AC MR43T). It is, in fact, just a little bit colder.

Last edited by Adivanman; 06-30-2003 at 12:39 PM.

Old 06-30-2003, 12:12 PM
CESSNA

Question

The teams I've seen use what ever plug they get for free ,and Lastweek-end ( that they RAN )I was in the pits checking for info on dist. and boxes and the plug issue came up .The engine tuner I was talking to gave me a promo. thing to read on plugs and it was almost a copy of what you printed .
The gentlman told me they do run a plug with no ground strap in quailifing and this team switched to a 360 A/C plug which I was handed and it was a normal apearing plug execpt the projected tip and the ground strap was cut half way across center elect.

Yes The projected tip is the way to go if your chamber is designed for it he said
and I and the others on here are smart enough to know nascar and other racing plugs are wrong for us
But the Rapid Fires are not worth the money
I'm no expert but I think the tuner I was talking to was right and know what I saw
He did say they are always trying new things

Old 06-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Adivanman

Rapid Fire #1 ($8 ea.) - Cross Reference to Accel 0574 ($1.75 ea.)

These will be ~1 heat range colder than the MR43T's. Accel 0576 are a projected tip of the same heat range and Accel 0577 are one step hotter plug (also projected tip).

And yes, I have also seen some teams side gapping projected tip plugs successfully but wanted to stick to the manufacturers specifications.

I am trying a set of side gapped Accel 0574's in my 500 EFI now.

Quick Reply: AC 1 number?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.