What is wrong with this >

What is wrong with this

Notices

What is wrong with this

Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you just put the nose cone on? is it straight, It may be causing it to cavitate and with power steering you may not feel the steering torque.
just a thought.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a story to tell.......back in my old days(???) I bought a Merc Mirage prop to go on my Merc 200 ob..... ran like crap.... just terrible. Had two mechanics & shops look at it.... then someone said- The thru hub exhaust is too small. changed to a SMALLER hub prop and it ran great. The larger hub was stopping up the thru hub exhaust..... the smaller hub allowed gases to exit over & thru the hub. It worked good....
Is the hub the correct one for your drive? Plugged?? Otherwise, I too would look at the slipping hub.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Registered

To verify if the hub is slippping take prop off. On the back of the prop take a center punch & punch a dot on the center part & the outer part next to the inter one. Now after you come back from the water check & see if both dots are still lined up. If not, you are spinning your hub. If they are lined up then go back to your prop guy. I have had more props that don't work correctly after a "Prop Shop" worked on them after I took them in for minor ding repairs.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Something is just wrong. Even if you are over propped a little you should be doing more than 40mph. Try to borrow a good 21 mirage plus and see what happens. If you don't pick up at least 10-12 mph then you probably have an engine problem or some serious hull drag. Is the hull clean? I think a 21 mirage plus is the prop you should have for your boat-motor combination. I have a 260 Baja which is actually a 24 footer with a built in swim platform. With the stock 7.4L and a 21 mirage plus it would do 54-55 mph. Your boat should be pretty close to that if everything is working as it should. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Baja Bopp

Thanks guys, I will try all that. Believe it or not, by looking and the prop wash i was wondering if the exhaust could be exiting around the prop instead of though. But i didn't know if that was possible. I have a swim platform on the back so i really can't see much. I think i need to put on a different prop and see what happens. The nose cone was put on a by a dirt bag shop in homestead.... After he had the drive for 3 weeks, I agreed to take the lower unit with the nose cone just to get the drive back. So i really didn't know anything about them.

Thanks again

Gene