Notices

trs help

Old 07-13-2003, 04:49 PM
wetpleasure

Default trs help

Just got back from the lake. With either a drive problem or a trany problem. Was running down the lake at 3300 rpm when sudenly the the boat pulled to the one side and the rpm gauge went down then motor died. pulled the outdrives up and checked the prop. the prop looked good so lowered the outdrives and started the motors up when i shifted it in grear it died. Where should I start?

Old 07-13-2003, 10:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

first make sure your drives turn freely. just grab the prop (WITH THE ENGINE OFF of course) and see if the prop turns easy.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Your gonna have to pull the drive off to figure this one out....since the TRS drives are a direct drive, if the trans is locked up you wouldnt be able to turn the drive....and make you think its a drive problem.....pull the drive off and then turn it. If it spins then i would start on the trans. By the way...did you check the trans fluid? does it smell burnt or is it black? may be a quick way to check before hand....
Same thing with the drive....pull the bottom fill/drain plug and check the oil out and see if you have any metal shavings in the oil..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We really got NEI (not enough info.) here. I'm guessing that this is a twin power rig since you talk of "motors and out-drives" as plural. What trannys you got? B/W or MerCtransII? First thing I'd do is pop the top cap on the TRS and you'll probably see the problem.(destruction). Hope I'm wrong but BTDT. (been there,done that) You really don't have to pull the drive to check that out. If the engine runs in neutral but dies when you shift, I'd say that the drive is toast, and it's most likely the upper. You could be REAL lucky and have it just be a seized bearing. Good luck! --- Jer