Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Carb to Vovlo Penta 496 HO >

Carb to Vovlo Penta 496 HO

Notices

Old 07-24-2003, 09:11 PM
shu92870

OK here comes a lengthy one. Hope I can get some responses ASAP. Installing my new 496 Volvo Penta to a TRS Merc tranny. I will be changing the motormounts so that the engine and tranny all line up(Volvos are too tall).
I need to plumb one exhaust for the tranny cooler. Will this change any of the cooling effects on the engine?

-Can I use my larger fuel/water separator then plumb to the fuel separator on the engine?
-Taking off the bellhousing coupler is there anything I should know before hand? I do see some ground wires, some bolts that look to be attached to the block(hopefully these mount into the tranny) and some brackets.
-Is there any concern about disconecting that bellhousing?
-The flywheel should mount to the tranny as it does to the bellhousing right?
-The water intake line(tube)is plumbed above the flywheel. If I unbolt the bracket and if there is enough room to run the powersteering lines(they are cooled via the intake water inlet hose) to under the engine(next to oil pan) should I?
-I have hydraulic steering. The power steering pump uses a different system right. Anyway to use the pump for my system? As it is I am getting a paultry 7 steering turns to go lock to lock. Yeah I know-DOOOOHHHH. Any ideas on that? Yes its an older style steering system.
-Last but not least how about an owners manual?
-I may be looking for a larger prop(25- or 4 Blade) any ideas?
-all going in a narrow beam 24' Pantera.
Thanks for all advice.