Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Temp heats up as RPM increases >

Temp heats up as RPM increases

Notices

Temp heats up as RPM increases

Old 08-04-2003, 05:32 PM
DonMan

Originally posted by blue thunder
Also if it is a bravo, check the elbow where the water pickup hose hooks to the transom assembly. These can become plugged or if the hose is loose you can suck air.

BT
Yes it is a Bravo One.
I will check the hose connection you`re talking about.
THANKS!

Old 08-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a water shortage problem,either a bad impeller or a clogged oil cooler.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I dredged the bottom with my low water pickup Bravo I limped to the dock. The high temp alarm went off as soon as I reached the dock. I replaced the impeller and housing and removed all hoses and back flushed the system. Felt pretty good about the job I did. Cranked it up on the hose and it ran perfect with normal temps. Put it in the river and went for a ride and it did exactly what you described. It would run at normal temp until I got above 3200 rpm and then it would climb. Any full throttle operation would make the temp climb rapidly. After returning to a lower rpm or idle the temps would go back to normal. After some head scratching and a couple of phone calls to a marine professional I decided to change the thermostat. That was it! It seems the thermostat was damaged by the high temps that occured after the sand sucking incident.

If I were you I would check the impeller and back flush the coolers. Then if you dont find anything replace the thermostat.

Good luck and post what you find.

Ron
Old 08-05-2003, 05:36 PM
DonMan

The very first thing I did was replace the 160* thermostat (which I installed along with the new impeller in May) with a new 140* t-stat. It didn`t change anything....
I plan to take off the hoses and back flush the cooling system. I may as well replace the impeller. I can get a new Sierra replacement for $12.
I will let you all know when I get this figured out!

Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Registered

Sounds like an Oil Cooler is blocked if the Water pump checks out. Have seen it many of times !!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:22 PM
DonMan

I haven`t had a chance yet to check out this problem. I do suspect a clogged oil cooler the most.
Here`s a question: If I had a sea strainer installed, would that catch most, if not all debris before it reaches the cooler?

Old 08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Registered

As an inpellor goes south it will lose some blades. The blades go to the first cooler & stay there. They then block the water flow thru the cooler & the engine. Replace implellor, Then remove hose before first cooler & remove the rubber parts that are at the cooler. You may have to stick your finger in the cooler input to break the pieces free before you pull them out.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 PM
homan

donman,l the Bravo's also have a plastic cone that holds the water intake hose in place one is under that elbow in the compartment the other can be seen when the drive is off. I had 2 collapse on different boats.You could check easily by disconnecting the hose for incoming water and run it bypassingt he regular intake. If you can get enough volume pumping through a garden hose

Old 08-07-2003, 10:33 AM
TeamSonic42

I had a similar problem. Would heat up at higher RPM's, but ran fine below 3800 and would cool right back down.

Decided to look at the impellar. It looked good but the housing had some minor scratches in it. Replaced the housing & impellar. That was it. Normal temps again.

The connection hose in the transom will also cause this, as it can become clogged, or it can loose is rigidity and collapse from suction.