Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I have a sticky rocker on my port SBC >

I have a sticky rocker on my port SBC

Notices

I have a sticky rocker on my port SBC

Old 08-12-2003, 01:48 AM
formulaF302

For what its worth I've seen rocker studs with worn spots/cracks in them cause the rocker arms to hang up and cause the same symptoms.....just a thought....good luck... Glenn

Old 08-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be giving all the rockers a visual inspection when I change my valve covers. I will change my valve covers when I change my exhaust, and that should all be next month. I'll let you'all know. I have my eye on the stainless marine system.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered

I just cut my oil filter open and inspected for metal. Its clean. pheew. I'm headed for a new filter and oil and try that.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Registered

That is great news nauti! Last one I cut open was loaded with the flakes of death. Maybe a rocker stud pulling from the head?

Good luck and keep us posted,

BT
Old 08-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Registered

OK. OIl and filter all changed. I even looked to see which side of the oil pan the drain came from and jacked it on the side to get every ounce of oil possible. I then flushed it out with 2 pints of cheap 20W 50 just to try to get anything pooling around the drain. Changed the filter and added about 7 pints of 15w 50 Mobil One. Fired it up and ran it for about 15 Minutes. Its still there fainter then ever. If I never told you, you'd never hear it, but I know its there and it kills me. You can't even hear it from the wheel, you have to get close with the hatch open. I'm gonna order some Valve covers real soon so I can get a peek. I looked at some on summittracing.com. Will any SBC valve covers fit as long as I get the ones that clears roller rockers?
Old 08-13-2003, 06:13 AM
Registered

Originally posted by nauticaL ILLUSIONS
OK. OIl and filter all changed. I even looked to see which side of the oil pan the drain came from and jacked it on the side to get every ounce of oil possible. I then flushed it out with 2 pints of cheap 20W 50 just to try to get anything pooling around the drain. Changed the filter and added about 7 pints of 15w 50 Mobil One. Fired it up and ran it for about 15 Minutes. Its still there fainter then ever. If I never told you, you'd never hear it, but I know its there and it kills me. You can't even hear it from the wheel, you have to get close with the hatch open. I'm gonna order some Valve covers real soon so I can get a peek. I looked at some on summittracing.com. Will any SBC valve covers fit as long as I get the ones that clears roller rockers?
Not sure what kind of heads you have...If it's the Centerbolt Heads they require special valve covers...Moroso is about the only ones that will fit out of the box without mods.....

BH
Old 08-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Registered

Moroso is the kind I have on there now, but there chrome. Good for freshwater but 5 times out and they look 5 years older. What mods would they need. I have DART HEADS.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

I have the Moroso's. They are aluminum but they corroded really bad just sitting over the winter....I spent a long time cleaning them up this past spring. Im going to send them along with a few other items this winter to get them powdercoated...I was surprised at how cheap it was. Seems like it was $30-40 for the valve covers......

BH
Attached Thumbnails I have a sticky rocker on my port SBC-68030_part.jpeg  
Old 08-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Registered

Those look sweet. What do they run for $$$. I think your right about the powder coating. I read in my hot rod mags that you get these polished pieces clear powder coated to maintain there shine a make them more durable. Valve covers, pulleys ect.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Registered

Originally posted by nauticaL ILLUSIONS
Those look sweet. What do they run for $$$. I think your right about the powder coating. I read in my hot rod mags that you get these polished pieces clear powder coated to maintain there shine a make them more durable. Valve covers, pulleys ect.
I think they were a little expensive compared to other covers...Seems like they were about $130-150 But they are made for lots of clearence for studs/girdles and roller rockers...You don't have to modify these babies

BH