Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
TRS outdrive >

TRS outdrive

Notices

TRS outdrive

Old 08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Barrett

Default TRS outdrive

What is a TRS outdrive ? Or what does TRS stand for ? A HD Mercruiser ? I heard it is usually only for high performance.

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Barrett, welcome to the board. The Merc TRS outdrive began being produced somewhere in the early 1970's. Merc discontinued the TRS around '92 or so. The Bravo drive is what began replacing the TRS in about the mid 80's. The TRS is much larger than the Bravo One drive and is a little stronger than the standard Bravo One drive. The TRS was a good drive---just outdated---plus it required a transmission set-up which made the Bravo One much more attractive because of it's cone clutch shifting that eliminated the need for a transmission and gave another bennefit of having more room in the engine compartment as well.

Perhaps someone else can jump in here and shed a little more light on the TRS for you.

Mark/KAAMA
Old 08-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also a TR drive, and I believe it will swing a larger diameter prop than the TRS. Someone chime in if I didn't get that right.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

TR= "transmission" model
TRS="transmission sport" model

Yes a TR can swing up to a 20" dia.
prop ( kind of like the Bravo II lower)

jt
Old 08-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Barrett

Thank you all for your responses. My neighbor and I looked at this 25' no name low profile ski boat in Redwood City. It was abandoned on its twin axel trailer with 4 flats in a lot with many other unclaimed campers, trailers, powerboats and sailboats. I lifted the engine cover, saw a V8 with Cadillac Crusader on the one remaining valve cover. Looking between the engine and transom we looked at each other and said what is that ? An old fella there said it was a TRS drive but didnt know any more than that. And now I know. I visited there again a short while ago and all of the boats, trailers and campers had been crushed by a backhoe and put into a 40 YD dumpsters.
I asked the harbormaster about why they do that. It is standard procedure to do that with abandoned pleasure boats.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

Why do they call it Redwood City? Was the founding father's name Red Wood?
Old 08-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Barrett

Check this out.

http://www.redwoodcityport.com/

They say that in the old days, turn of the century, they mill and ship redwood and other timber from the Santa Cruz mountains and the surrounding forested areas that enclose the southern portions of SF Bay.
No more logging these days.
Everything now is protected.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Llc
Registered

Default Trs

In the 70s that #2 trans was not the same as the TRSseries that had a internal dog clutch. No hydrolic trans 1.78 to 1 gear ratio and the had a speed master lower unit that merc offered. same unit as the bp outboard and eleryer than that. Was the same drive that swiveled. TRS. Also had speedmaster lower units and oferd that with a 475hp twin turboffered.rather tame turbo set up for warnty 5lb pound boost if that don't remember the brovo drive way later than 90s im thinking.
​​​​​
Old 03-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

interesting on SO many levels
Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Registered

When you over power a TRS drive what usually breaks first?
Cliff in maine

Quick Reply: TRS outdrive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.