Switch from Holley to Q-jet with adapter >

Switch from Holley to Q-jet with adapter

Notices

Switch from Holley to Q-jet with adapter

Old 09-04-2003, 03:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch from Holley to Q-jet with adapter

I have been pretty pleased with the "problem child" as of late....I have my original Quadrajet still lying around and want to bolt it up to get a comparison of the two between my Holley I am running now and my old Q-Jet......NOW I know ALOT of people say the adapters suck and don't really cause a good a/f distribution but hell thats not my point I can't stand the fact that this perfect Q-Jet is lying around getting dust..I would like to know how it would do on my new motor...You know a little test and tune. If it works great if It runs like **** well I won't feel bad at all selling the thing......What all is needed to switch? A thottle bracket and manifold adapter (qjet-to square bore)? Im running a SBC with L31Vortec Heads and a RPM Air-Gap manifold....What does the Q-Jet flow CFM wise? It was on my original motor a 260hp mercruiser..Any body done this swap before and have some part recomendations?

Thanks
BH
Old 09-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All marine Q-Jets flow 750 cfm.
I'm not sure how a Q-Jet will work with the adapter. Have you seen what those adapters look like?
Trying to squeeze the air flow from the large secondaries down to the smaller square bore holes will hurt performance. I would think it's close to a NASCAR restrictor plate.
If you hade a Q-Jet manifold then bolted a Holley to it would be a better test.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Switch from Holley to Q-jet with adapter

Originally posted by BAD-HABIT
I have been pretty pleased with the "problem child" as of late.

Thanks
BH
Given some of your past posts and problems...if it ain't broke , DON'T FIX IT
Old 09-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Registered

I'm running Q-Jets on top of OLD torkers, with the Mr Gasket open adapters. Mine is a single plane mainfold so I don't think it hurt anything. I had to trim the crap out of the adapters, because 'as cast' they don't line up with either of the two applications. I just layed the corresponding gasket on each side, and worked with my trusty die grinder till I didn't see aluminum inside the gasket surface.
I also had to make a spacer to raise my throttle cable bracket.
The gas milage with the Q-Jets is awesome! Yea, like anybody on this site cares about that!
DS
Attached Thumbnails Switch from Holley to Q-jet with adapter-pdrm0058.jpg  
Old 09-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Dennis Moore

I say, go for it! It would be fun and the performance difference may be relatively minor. The idle and mid range performance may be better. Use the cheap Mr.Gasket adapter. You may get a performance gain from having additional plenum volume from the open adapter.
Let us know how it turns out.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 09-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forogt about the open type spacer. The one I had in mind was a four hole type but the secondary side was beveled to match the Q-Jet secondary size. That's why I compared it to a restrictor plate.
My mistake.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Registered

Bad Habit. I have everything you need to make the switch if you want to borrow them to try let me know. Im in Huron, OH but travel all over.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally posted by formula31
Bad Habit. I have everything you need to make the switch if you want to borrow them to try let me know. Im in Huron, OH but travel all over.
Thanks Formula31....What all do you have and what is needed? Have you had any experence with this type of switch? I would like to switch them out maybe in a week or so....I'll wait to hear from you and thanks again

BH
Old 09-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

I tried to run Quads on my engines and they didnt work at all. They were stock right off of 7.4's that ran great. On my engines, they wouldnt start and when they did, wouldnt run under 2000 rpm. Not knowing much about Quads, I just gave up. I also use single planes with open plenum's. I have the open adaptor, screws, fuel line connection (for 3/8" hose) and the stock merc throttle clamp (post for the barrel). I suspect the open plenum manifold and my advanced cam may be causing the quad problems. My holley 780's work great, start and idle like fuel injected.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Registered

Dear Bad,

I have a vortec intake for the quad-jet. It is cast iron and I would love to get rid of it. It is a stock height and was designed for the flat trackers. i bought it new from salee gm. It has just a few hours on it.

Let me know if it might work for you.

thanks

Quick Reply: Switch from Holley to Q-jet with adapter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.