Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
6.2L performance mods...again. >

6.2L performance mods...again.

Notices

6.2L performance mods...again.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey G, The Dealer that I bought the Boat from, installed the Imco Exhaust for me when I bought the Boat , so I can't give you a before and after scenario! I cant remember what they cost, I bought it in Jan.2002. I'll dig through my Files and try to find a reciept.

I'm turning Labbed 3blades , 23 pitch, WOT 5100 rpm,, Speedo 72, gps 69.3,MPH,,, Bravo 1,, 1.5,,

I know I have a few more RPM to play with, I'm hoping the K&N might help that a little.

How tight {rpm's} are you running yours at WOT?

Last edited by mama tryed; 04-01-2004 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Registered

Oh Yea,,, I've got everthing in mine I could get,,Air,TV,Microwave, Vac-u-flush Head, Fridge,etc,,,
Old 03-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know if the chargers are the same or not. I got the #s off of the Box the cleaners came in. I did not notice a difference with the cleaners but, They look cool.

Most 6.2s have the 1.65 outdrive on them. I wonder if they changed the ratio in the later ones. I also like these engines and I turn mine about 5k. I run 2 different props I have a pair of 23s and a pair of 25s. My top speed is from 62-65 on gps. It depends on how the payload is. My boat is a big 33 so the speed is not to bad considering the size of my boat. Dwight
Old 04-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mama/dwight...

I have a new 29 Fountain Fever with the twin 6.2's. As you are probably aware, the Fever is fairly light and has little in the way of amenities, no stove, air, etc. In stock trim it runs 71 on the gps with the 20 hours I managed to use it after delivery in the fall. I have the 1.65 ratio standard Bravo drives and with stock 26" Bravo1 props and was hitting the rev limiter at 5350rpm (trimmed out, nearly full fuel, 2 souls on board).

I had the props labbed by Houston Propeller and they also pitched them up to 27"...I hope to gain 1-2 mph and bring down the rpm. Things are starting to warm up around here and I will give you an update when I splash the boat in (I hope!) a couple of weeks.

Whitey, alot of people agree with you that there is no increase in performance when changing to the Filterchargers...but they definitely do look cool! Do you know if there are any problems with Coast Guard safety checks?

G-

Last edited by gferdon; 04-01-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Registered

The filter is coast guard approved. It is on the box they came in. I also believe that I seen it on the charger itself
Old 04-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Registered

What Oil are you Guy's running? I have always used Mobil One , Synthetic..15- 40 I think it is,, but I bought a Case of Royal Purple this Week , straight 30 , that I'm going to use,, I freaked when he told me the Price of the Case and Ithought Mobile One was high!!!
I have always used the Wix Hi-perf Filter #51069
You guys have me curios on my Drive Ratio now, I'm going to lok a little bit closer today, when i'm changing my oil!!
5350 rpm is where you "bumped" ,,intresting ,, I may have to tell Julie I need a little more,, next time I have any prop work done......
Attached Thumbnails 6.2L performance mods...again.-13.jpg  
Old 04-03-2004, 07:25 AM
Registered

I am a M1 fan but, I have found that I get the best oil pressure with a 40 wt. So I use castro 40 when possible. In case you have not noticed the oil pressure on the 6.2 is what I would consider on the low side but, I have heard it is to do with the oil pump and it is a drag reducing trick used by GM. It does not cause a problem but, it kinda makes you worry the first time out.
I have been using the wix filter also. Another thing you may want to consider is to add a oil cooler. I am not sure why but Merc did not add one to this engine. Dwight
Old 04-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Registered

Dwight.. so how you doin with yo motors?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Registered

Well they are coming along. I have a delima right now. I took my boat back to the plant to get some repairs done and someone saw it and are very interested in buying it. So I am on a holding patern until I hear back as to wether they want to buy or not. If I sell I am going back to a single. Dwight
Old 04-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Registered

cool.... I'll sell you a single 18' Adult driven and never abused

Quick Reply: 6.2L performance mods...again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.