Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Blown 502MPI Makes 1000 HP? >

Blown 502MPI Makes 1000 HP?

Notices

Blown 502MPI Makes 1000 HP?

Old 09-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg we got off the subject a bit, I will be glad to help in anyway that I can for you to achieve your goal. Let me know, I can take pictures, make a list of parts, etc.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:50 AM
Registered

Lets see a pic of your setup JS. Your throttle body is a since blade or is it set up like a 4 barrel carb, primary & secondarys?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jspeed, Your right got off the subject a little. This fall I plan to remove the procharger box and run a bonnet like the guy with prochargers in the parts for sale section. (with the carb) Then its time to pull it and fix the oil leaks and reconfigure. It seems that the ultimate would be twin turbos, intercoolers and throttle body(s) with the fast system type of computer. I know a couple guys running the Haltech unit and making huge numbers with their turbo setups like this. An easier but not necessarily cheaper route would be a big vortech or procharger, TOMCAT intercooler, throttle bodie ( is it IE or Y) And EFI computer. The second route would be no exhaust work but less power than the turbos. I'm a little of the turbo thing because of the exhaust work and the torque hitting the drive at relativily low speed VS. the belt driven blowers spooling up at around 4000 rpm or so. I heard that those turbos pull like crazy just off of idle. I just happen to have the 502 efi intake and throttle body and started this thread to find out wether I should spend any time on it or just take my time and buy the other stuff. How many cfm is your probe body? This is my current setup below. How far from Rockford Il. are you, Id like to check out your boat if your close, if not the board will do. Greg
Attached Thumbnails Blown 502MPI Makes 1000 HP?-104-0415_img.jpg  
Old 09-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jspeed I have EMI's with ss risers, what intake are you using? Fuel rails? Greg
Old 09-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tomcat will jump in soon, but on your setup you have 5 elbows and the intercooler expansion and contraction. Going to the 'hats' are not coast guard legal and will have a problem of leaking out the throttle shafts. I would price the tomcat IC and box with using your SC. I bet you would be very surprised with the results and not even have to go to the vortech SC. Can you say 100 HP increase!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Junkie

No bonnet!
Boat Go Boom!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Speed Demon, I agree with you 100%. My point is the same as yours, that a known combination is the only way to go. Mine are also custom engines using a setup known to work. My thoughts are bolt-on parts will not make a reliable 1000hp with a 502 mag.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Registered

Greg, TJ- I will work on getting a picture of my setup to post and you will get an idea of what you can doing away with the box. I actually have my Procharger off the boat and ready to send to ATI for repairs, but that really isn't the important part of the setup, it still mounts in the same location.
Greg-I had customn made fuel rails made by
EFI specilaties for about $200. out of bllet aluminum, they are really nice. My throttle body is a 95mm single blade, this thing idles real well with the blower on it, ok without blower. I use Lightning headers on my boat, honestly I don't think that is all that important, have seen projects where exhaust didn't make a huge improvement on blown applications. Intake is a Holley fuel injection manifold, new for this year,looks just like a Dart intake. Real tall at carb flange, you actually look straight down the intakes, the flow has to be phenomenal.
Brad- I am with you, I am glad we agree, that means we are both real intelligent,hahaha. But 1000 hp on the 502 parts won't take a whole bunch of punishment, before it caves in.
I assure you can build all the power you want without screwing around with turbos, using fuel injection on procharger, ask TJ he has tried that already, he now has a procharger.
OK, I'm excited already, when do we start picking out the parts? I love a new project, even if you are 500 miles away, I am in Charleston, WV. Let's build it big and mean, and take no prisoners.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

ttt
Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Can't believe I never saw this thread,as some of you have seen I came close to making 1000hp using modified 502 mpi efi system on a 540 w/m3sc (944hp/962ft lbs tq) but just like this thread thats old news. I'm looking for a few more hp from my combo this time around of freshening it,I'll post anything exciting,Smitty

Quick Reply: Blown 502MPI Makes 1000 HP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.