Outdrive inspection >

Outdrive inspection

Notices

Outdrive inspection

Old 09-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive inspection

I currently have the drive gear bearing assy out of the upper housing on my B1 drive. I laid out the parts and inspected. I have a oil leak into the bellows and I found the seal behind the Yoke to be the culprit. What I found was the face of the seal is rubbed through. It looks like the seal was not installed all the way into the seal carrier. I also found the black beveled washer has marks on it like it has spun around a few times. My question is if this is normal or do I have a problem? I have not found much in the way of metal debris. Thanks Dwight
Old 09-26-2003, 07:57 AM
Doller Offshore

The black washer wear is normal, but you need to find out if you have been building up pressure in the unit, which can push the seal out. When that seal is installed, it needs to be "locktited". If that was not done suffeciently, that also could have caused it to move forward.
Our drive tech John would be happy to speak to you, just call him, 800-376-1616, or 954-463-9988.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you recommend replacing the washer when replacing the seal? What can be done about pressure concerns. I use Shockproof heavy and I first noticed something unusual last fall but I had several different events happen which I could attributed the fluid to. I suspect that the seal was not installed all the way when I got the boat. Thanks for your help Dwight