Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How long will aluminum heads and intake last in freshwater? >

How long will aluminum heads and intake last in freshwater?

Notices

How long will aluminum heads and intake last in freshwater?

Old 09-26-2003, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will aluminum heads and intake last in freshwater?

I've ordered AFR aluminum heads for the T-540's I'm building. I asked them to hard anodize the heads, but what about the intake? Too Old gave me a pair of Edelbrock Performers with the boat. They'll probably be a little on the restrictive side but I've got hatch clearance constraints.

Can you buy aluminum intakes already hard anodized, or otherwise internally protectedf rom corrosion? Roughly, how long does a pair of unprotected heads and intakes alst in freshwater vs. how much longer (if any) they will last with hard anodizing or some other method of corrosion prevention?
Old 09-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Registered

I've been running the same automotive grade aluminum intake on my setup for almost 25 years in fresh water and there is no evidense of corrosion. There is however, the typical calcium buildup in the water passage. I've never had aluminum heads.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I have had experience with Aluminum heads, and intakes only in Salt water. They are usually good for 5 years in this envirionment.

Hard Anodized, I have no experience.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Registered

One of my aluminum intakes is 12 years old, fresh water, no problems. I clean the white calcium off the water passage when I have it off.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Registered

run salt away on then after each use, that stuff works great for salt are fresh water, and drain the motors in the off season and you should last for several seasons, you can also buy anodes that screw into the water fittings on the heads and intake they help a lot
Old 09-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Registered

My 20 cig has had aluminum heads for 26 years rebuilt the motor two years ago and they looked great,fresh water only.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Dennis Moore

There is a lot of industrial equipment that uses fresh water in applications such aluminum water tanks, aluminum pipes, aluminum valves, irrigation pumps etc. This equipment uses magnesium anodes to protect them from corrosion.

Bolting a piece of magnesium inside the cooling system of your engine will protect it from corrosion. As long as all of the aluminum parts on your engine are electrically grounded together the magnesium can be installed anywhere inside the cooling system.

Magnesium anodes are more effective than zinc anodes at self sacrificing but magnesium dissolves very quickly in salt water so most anodes are made from zinc. In fresh water, magnesium is the best anode.

Dennis Moore

Old 09-28-2003, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I purchased a set of anodized Brodix BB-2 s. They do a hard coat anodize which covers the inside and out. It is a green color. They say you can use the heads in salt water. The cost is about $500.00 extra a set
Old 09-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Outboards have aluminum heads, they last forever. There's alot of early to mid 80's outboards running around here in salt water. In fact, they have aluminum blocks.