Notices

454 Problem - Advise?

Old 09-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 454 Problem - Advice?

Ok...here's the particulars:

1987 454 330hp Alpha 1 w/ 465hrs in a Formula F223LS

I just replaced the exhaust manifolds, risers, thermostat housing, & circ. pump earlier this season. Then, yesterday, I was running out on LI Sound and everthing seemed fine - until I slowed down.

The engine seemed to have a much lower idle (i.e. barely running) and was running rough. However, when I went back up on plane, everything seemed fine. Back at the dock, the motor stalled and I tried to start it, but it only turned over once before the starter couldn't turn it. The motor seemed 'hydrolocked'.

Well, my curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the plugs. Imagine my shock when plugs 1,3,5,&7 were wet. Also, there was water in the oil, but it was not that frothy milky white - yet. Plugs 2,4,6 & 8 were dry and normal. when I got home last night, I drained the block and manifolds, and was able to turn the motor over and expel the water. Then I sprayed two cans of fogging oil and WD-40 into the cylinders. I then turned the motor over to work it in.

So here's the questions - What are the odds that this is just a blown head gasket? Should I be prepared to purchase another set of heads? While I am at it, what is the expected life of an intake manifold in this engine? I also know that there is water in the oil and I need to get it out. However, with an engine that won't run, until I pull the heads, the best I can do is drain the oil. Right?

I religiously flush the motor after every outing and the last set of manifolds/risers lasted for 6 or 7 years. I just want to save the short block if it still has life left in it. With the rain today, it's going to be tough to pull the heads ASAP.

Suggestions? Answers?

Thanx!

-Larry

Last edited by ljsmith1; 09-29-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Registered

Since all plugs on your left head are wet most likely not a head gasket but a riser gasket,riser or cracked manifold. If you find its the gasket change the oil and filter run the engine untill it reaches propper temp, change the oil and filter again and you should be good to go!
Old 09-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Dennis Moore

If you had a blown head gasket or cracked head you wouldn't be getting water into all of the cylinders on the port side. Only the cylinder were the gasket blew or head cracked. You must have a bad gasket between the manifold and riser or the exhaust flapper valve burned out (on that side) allowing water to enter the exhaust manifold and ports. If your compression is good your engine is probably fine. Drain the oil and fill the engine with diesel fuel (from your local gas station) if you aren't going to run it for a week or so.
I would say that you don't have a major problem with your engine. Good Luck!
Dennis Moore

Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking the same thing about the head gasket not being the culprit. But, since I just replaced the risers, and flappers (also the boat has the silent thunder swim platform which means that there are effectively two sets of flappers per side - so no real reversion problem without flappers in tips), I was beginning to think I had a major problem with the head or head gasket.

I will pull the riser off today and see if there are any cracks, and or if the flapper went away.

Hopefully, I'll get is back together today so I can get the motor started and oil changed. Then we'll see if there is still a problem.

Thanks!

-Larry
Old 09-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis whats the deal with the diesel fuel ? I've never heard of that before.....
Old 09-28-2003, 12:27 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

When you pull the riser off, just look for traces of water or rust marks that go back down into the manifold. Since you didn't specify, I am assuming that you have stock exhaust. What type of riser gaskets did you use? The old style Merc gaskets were thin and had a print-o-seal around all the water passages. These type of gaskets were prone to leaking. The new gaskets look like a waffled silvery metal, almost like an exhaust manifold gasket.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dyno
Dennis whats the deal with the diesel fuel ? I've never heard of that before.....
The diesel will cut the emulsified oil out of the engine better than just changing the oil, much better. I've done it several times, but I use half oil and half diesel then run it at idle for a few minutes, then drain the diesel/oil mixture. Then refill with oil.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Registered

I agree with everyone on the riser gasket. I lost two engines to those piece of crap stock risers before I switched to imco risers. Mine stock exhaust risers had an additional 3" spacer which ended up making the threaded rods around 14" long. The poor little 3/8 -16 nuts didn't have a chance at making a good clamp force at 14" away and I found leak after leak. Spent a fortune on the riser gaskets as well, and I was using the grey one checkmate mentioned.

ljsmith1 - I am planning on switch to headers over the winter and will be selling my one season old imco (m72) ss risers if you become interested. They are a good fix for riser problems, look good and sound better than stock, but give little if any perf gain. I don't grenade engines anymore since I installed them either. PM me if interested.

Dyno - the diesel fuel is to cut any emulsified oil that may be in the galleys or other parts of the lub system. I generally use kerosine myself.

BT
Old 09-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Registered

BT - Thanks! I may need to take you up on that offer if the $$ is right!

I put in OSCO replacement manifolds and risers because I have had very good luck with them in the past.
The main reason was that I was keeping the motor stock for now, and I run in salt water most of the time. I figured that I would sink in more $$ in two more seasons on a 502 with a Bravo.

Thanks!

-Larry
Old 09-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Registered

BTW - I used the riser gaskets that came with the OSCO package. I have the Quicksilver replacements on hand just in case...

-Larry

Quick Reply: 454 Problem - Advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.