B1 drive trim problem

Notices

B1 drive trim problem

Old 09-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question B1 drive trim problem

Anybody had a problem like this?

On the way back to the dock on Sunday, I accelerated my Formula 271 onto plane, then tried to trim out the drive only to discover that the drive would not trim out. Also, to the dismay of my passengers, the stereo would cut out everytime I hit the drive trim switch. I cut the throttle back, slowed to an idle, and tried again. This time the drive trimmed out, although a little sluggish. I tried again on plane again and again, it would not trim out under load. Everything worked fine heading out on the lake earlier in the day.

One observation: While anchored on the lake, and before I discovered the problem, the stereo/amplifier was cutting out. Assuming my battery setup (2) was getting weak, I shut the stereo down. The boat started fine.

Here is my question: Could weak batteries be connected to my drive trim problem? Normally, I would think that once the engine was running, the alternator would take over and allow me to drive the stereo and the trim.

Any suggestions????
Old 09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how much stereo you are cranking? If you drop a battery a standard 55amp alternator, will not recover immediately.

I would take a charge on your battery and see if it does it when it is fresh. Your trim pump either works on doesn't so I think it has to do something with a weak battery. Especially because your stereo acted as you hit the switch.

I run 3 amps and 3 batts and if the power is low kind of like a car you are not getting the whole 12v redirected back to the pump from you dash.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your alternator output and all the grounds