Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hook in Bottom of Outlaw >

Hook in Bottom of Outlaw

Notices

Hook in Bottom of Outlaw

Old 10-15-2003, 04:49 PM
outlaw1971

I am having the "wedge" removed as we speak and will tell you guys what the result is in a few weeks. There were many email sent to me telling me that it was intentionally put there and not to do it. However, after consulting with a few experts, I had to conclude otherwise and give it a try. As I said having the hook there to give the average consumer th ability to have an overall good performing boat seems a bit contrary to me. Why add large horsepower to a boat only to contradict it by putting something in the hull to slow it dow. I can use trim and tabs on my own to compensate and intend on doing so. However, I want the hull to be perfectly straight to get the highest degree of efficiency and the least amount of drag

Old 10-15-2003, 06:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Keep us posted on the results.

What is the elevation that you
run the boat at ? ( sea level, etc)

jt
Old 10-15-2003, 06:22 PM
outlaw1971

I run it in Southern California in the ocean and at Lake Havasu in AZ. So my elevation changes from 0 to 400 or so feet. One more thing, there is no rpm or speed change between ocean and fresh water or 70 degree and 105 degree heat. That's even more bizare and further proves to me that the engine is capable of making plenty of power, just can't get the hull to get passed it's ineficiency.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Well.......There goes that theory.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:22 PM
outlaw1971

You probably thought I ran it at Altitude Any other suggestions?

Old 10-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have those on my hull right in front of the trim tabs. But, I can get my bow to "fly" so I am assuming that hook is not affecting me. What do you all think? If I can get my bow up, granted it takes lots of positive drive trim, should I also remove these or leave them alone? I now have 280 k-planes vrs, the original Bennetts
Old 10-16-2003, 10:22 AM
outlaw1971

Default Hook

What kind of boat do you have, Formula?

Old 10-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered

Very strange cruiser /go fast hybrid. 1988 Cruisers Rogue 2800. Here a pic of the transom, the hook is just where the tabs are and helps get it on plane and keep the bow down at lower speeds. I think it must be out of the water at WOT but I dont know for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Hook in Bottom of Outlaw-stern-drives-tabs1.jpg  
Old 10-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

Formula, that's an interesting looking transom. How much swim platform/deck is out 'beyond the transom?

Brian
Old 10-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

Formula31,

I looked at buying a '88 Rogue 24' a few years ago. Interesting boat, lots of cockpit room, and good looking lines. It had some odd looking jump seats in the cuddy - they looked like the seats you would see on a jumbo jet. I had to pass on that particular boat because it had a ton of stress cracks and it was kept in the water - looked like it needed too much TLC. Yours looks much nicer.

From the fact that you are running twins and it is a big, heavy boat (I know that single-engine 24' I looked at weighed a TON), I would guess that your hooks are still seeing significant water at speed. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to get up close to the boat when at speed and observe. I know my Baja is dragging ass - that thing is a PIG!

Quick Reply: Hook in Bottom of Outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.