When to change Inline Fuel Filter

Notices

When to change Inline Fuel Filter

Old 04-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: When to change Inline Fuel Filter

Originally Posted by Kanookstr
I would think there's a stock AC/delco part number for these filters???? Anyone find them yet??

I could be wrong but I dont think the fram # is stainless steel (thats why the merc is so expensive)
Old 04-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Re: When to change Inline Fuel Filter

Its my thought that a good performance marine motor installation should have a large capacity spin-on fuel/water seperator filter between the tank and the primary pump, lets say something like Remco's F300M. These I believe are usually about 20- 30 micron units which will catch a lot of water or tank and fuel debris and contamination before they plug up and leave you stranded or dead in the water. These size particles won't be a problem for the pumps. However it is important, especially on EFI motors to have a smaller 10 micron inline fuel filter after the last pump before the injectors so that if the pumps take a dump, they don't spit the debris into the system at the injectors where it will always cause instant problems. Just my system recommendations if you are setting up one or making changes.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Its my thought that a good performance marine motor installation should have a large capacity spin-on fuel/water seperator filter between the tank and the primary pump, lets say something like Remco's F300M. These I believe are usually about 20- 30 micron units which will catch a lot of water or tank and fuel debris and contamination before they plug up and leave you stranded or dead in the water. These size particles won't be a problem for the pumps. However it is important, especially on EFI motors to have a smaller 10 micron inline fuel filter after the last pump before the injectors so that if the pumps take a dump, they don't spit the debris into the system at the injectors where it will always cause instant problems. Just my system recommendations if you are setting up one or making changes.

Ray @ Raylar
Makes sense.

Does Remco have a web site that displays/describes their fuel filters?

Bill
Old 04-24-2006, 02:33 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

I had Aeromotive Aluminum fuel filter in my 288 that held up and worked great. I plan on buying a set for my 32. they cost around $80.00 and come with a 10 micron filter. the replacement filters are only $10,00 after that. You pay a few $$ more the first season, but only !0.00 every season after that..
Summit racing has good prices. here is the link to the filters them selves.
Aeromotive filer at Summit
Old 04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Makes sense.

Does Remco have a web site that displays/describes their fuel filters?

Bill
www.ramcoperformance.com
Old 04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by LiberatorII
No wonder Google could not find it.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Re: When to change Inline Fuel Filter

I screwed up in my earlier post, to much caffiene! The fuel water seperator we support and use is the Ramco unit. I mistakenly listed the micron rating as 25-30 micron. Their micron rating on this seperator filter is actually 5 microns and yet this unit will still flow over 300GPH at that rating. These filters are also very affordable as compared to some other high performance marine fuel filters. Thats why we like and use their product. A lot of other brands of filters on the market will not flow anywhere near this number and their micron ratings are actually higher. If you are interested in one of these filters let me know as we are about to offer these products with our other fine Raylar products.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

In case anyone was interested, I wnet to Pep-Boys and fond an inline fuel filter for a 496 truck engine (Purolator #F33144) for roughly $8 each that appears to be exactly the same as the originals, but it is not as it turns out. They're slightly bigger around (not a show stopper) but the stopper was the ends where the adapters screw into are not as deep, and the threads are slightly different not allowing the adapters to even start. Plus I have been using the Fram #3808 fuel separators from West Marine the past two years and have worked well at $9.99 each.

Yeah I was trying to save a couple of bucks vice paying $50 on a Merc inline model. While I had one inline filter off, I did an unscientific test to see if it was plugged (I'm having an issue with both motors not wanting to run at idle or at all, and I'm thinking fuel problem for now with both Separators changed already). Anyway just blowing thru the inline shows no restriction whatsoever to air, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do at all with fuel liquid flow to tell me whether or not it's restriciting fuel flow to the engine/s because it's clogged?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
I screwed up in my earlier post, to much caffiene! The fuel water seperator we support and use is the Ramco unit. I mistakenly listed the micron rating as 25-30 micron. Their micron rating on this seperator filter is actually 5 microns and yet this unit will still flow over 300GPH at that rating. These filters are also very affordable as compared to some other high performance marine fuel filters. Thats why we like and use their product. A lot of other brands of filters on the market will not flow anywhere near this number and their micron ratings are actually higher. If you are interested in one of these filters let me know as we are about to offer these products with our other fine Raylar products.

Ray @ Raylar
Ray,

Can the Ramco 300M filter element canister be used/properly fit as a direct replacement for the stock Merc spin on fuel filter element canister for a 2005 496HO with the Cool Fuel.