Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
When to change Inline Fuel Filter >

When to change Inline Fuel Filter

Notices

When to change Inline Fuel Filter

Old 10-20-2003, 07:57 AM
Mr. Gov'nt

Default When to change Inline Fuel Filter

I have a 2003 496 HO and the Mercury Owners Manual says to change Fuel Filters every 100 hrs or Annualy. The filter is $50.00 and the two connectors are $17.00 does everybody out there change this every year or every other year? I can agree with changeing the water separating fuel filter every year but what about this inline fuel filter?.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:06 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WE PAY THE SAME JOIN THE CLUB
Old 10-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Racor canister type filters instead. After the initial $60 price the replacement filters are about $10 a piece.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Island Hopper
I installed Racor canister type filters instead. After the initial $60 price the replacement filters are about $10 a piece.

Will they void warranty?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Registered

The inline filter was an add on after there had been numerous fuel system problems. This was done late in 2002. Prior to that they did not exist.
This system is plumbed to the boost pump before the fuel goes through the water seperator filter. Should be through the filter first. But rather than fixing the plumbing issue, Merc decided to add the inline filter, at a cost of around $50 a piece, that are throwaways. My boat did not have these filters, and if I was going to have to spend this kind of money I would buy a better filter. This should not have any effect on warranty.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Registered

Where are they located...I have a 2002 496 mag, sunsation..Didn`t see any inline filter, but may be missing it..
Old 04-18-2006, 05:40 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Default Re: When to change Inline Fuel Filter

I would think there's a stock AC/delco part number for these filters???? Anyone find them yet??
Old 04-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Island Hopper
Did you install the Racor fuel filter to correct the Merc plumbing error you describe? [QUOTE=The inline filter was an add on after there had been numerous fuel system problems. This was done late in 2002. Prior to that they did not exist.
This system is plumbed to the boost pump before the fuel goes through the water seperator filter. Should be through the filter first. But rather than fixing the plumbing issue, Merc decided to add the inline filter, at a cost of around $50 a piece, that are throwaways. My boat did not have these filters, and if I was going to have to spend this kind of money I would buy a better filter. This should not have any effect on warranty.[QUOTE] If so exactly what did you do plumbibg wise?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

On my 32 Sun the inline's are located just forward of each motor on a stringer. I suspect if you have them they too are attached to a stringer.

BTW, what is the part-number and are they found on mercruiserparts.com?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Island Hopper
The inline filter was an add on after there had been numerous fuel system problems. This was done late in 2002. Prior to that they did not exist.
This system is plumbed to the boost pump before the fuel goes through the water seperator filter. Should be through the filter first. But rather than fixing the plumbing issue, Merc decided to add the inline filter, at a cost of around $50 a piece, that are throwaways. My boat did not have these filters, and if I was going to have to spend this kind of money I would buy a better filter. This should not have any effect on warranty.
Island Hopper,

Did you install the Racor fuel filter to correct the Merc plumbing error you describe? [QUOTE=The inline filter was an add on after there had been numerous fuel system problems.

Quick Reply: When to change Inline Fuel Filter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.