Edelbrock heads >

Edelbrock heads

Notices

Edelbrock heads

Old 11-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock heads

Is anybody using the Marine Edelbrock Aluminum Oval port heads on this site? I can't find ANYBODY that has tried/used these. Please give me some real world info on what you think of them if you have. It just seems that they are a smoking deal, yet all i get is blank stares when I ask how they worked.......

I'm comparing them to Merlin oval ports on a mild (under 5100rpm) 454.

Anybody?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used them on a 454 and a 509 with good results. The ones I used were not the marine version I had to marinize them myself. The 454 had GM rectangle closed chamber heads prior to the Edelbrocks. The gain was about 3 mph even though the compression went down 110cc vs 105cc chambers. I also needed to use more timing advance with the aluminum heads to obtain more power due to the decrease in compression. You will be raising your compression so you may not need to increase the timing. They also had much better fuel economy than the rectangle ports .Good luck, The Ironman

Last edited by IRONMAN; 11-18-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. You might be the only person in the world to have purchased these.......

I'm going from the Big block vortec heads (L-29) to these. My compression will actually drop, so i'm hoping they have enough power increase to at least cover that.!

If you went from rectangle ports to these and picked up power, that's promising......

Thanks.!
Old 11-18-2003, 04:31 PM
liquid lounge

I've got them, the GM version anyway...I did change the 11/32 ex. valve to a 3/8" inconel. I think the Edelbrock marine comes with an inconel exhaust valve[11/32 stem]. I think the 11/32 is fine if your not running alot of spring...don't know if this theory is absolutely true . I went from the 325 ports to the 290cc ports, so I did the opposite of what you are doing. I found a noticeable performance increase through the entire rpm range. Some of this was do to the bump in compression, but I think the higher port velocity has more to do with it...just a hunch. I think the port size is about perfect for a 500-525HP motor without too big of cam.
All is not perfect though; the "roval ports" will only match a "roval" intake. Supposedly, this mis-match is not that critical in a dry flow[i.e. port f/i], but if you are running a carb, you need to get the appropriate manifold or match the ports...more$$$.
Always glad to help a CR guy.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I've run them for the last 4 years on two applications. The first was a 454 with cam and exhaust upgrades.
The latest was on my naturally aspirated 540 after I had them fully ported and larger valves installed. They reved the 540 easily to 5400 rpm and were torque monsters.
Mine were not the marine version and if you opted to just buy the non coated you could go with the 6049 head which is what I ran. It has 100cc chambers and it will bring your CR on your 454 to just over 9. Great head for your application. If your not in salt the marine version (other then the valves) will not make any difference what so ever. I have no signs of corrosion after 4 years and we have very hard water in these parts.
I just sold them and am having a set of Canfields built by JimV. A better heavier deck for my now blown 540

Hope that helps,
Dave
Old 11-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max...If I am not mistaken they must have been good enough for Mercury Marine, Edelbrock is the aluminum head they use on the 525's. Not sure if it is price or what, made them chose this head. The motor I saw on the engine stand in at the Miami boat show had Edelbrock heads on it. The 540's we built had AFR heads on them. Motor made good torque and horsepower, but the whipples didnt hurt either.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 11-19-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:17 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies guys.... Sounds like maybe that aren't such a bad deal after all.!

I wasn't sure about the ones on the 525's.....didn't know if they were rectangular or oval port. Don't exactly have one laying around to tear down and see...

Looks like they'll be a good upgrade. If i get them, i'll be sure to let the board know how they work.

Liquid, are you originally from around here? This time of the year makes me wonder why I haven't migrated south.....
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nordic Heat, Who did the porting and how much did you gain bu the port job? Thanks, Chris
Old 11-20-2003, 06:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Madmax,
Those heads sure sound like a great deal for $1400...

I'll have between 900 and $1000 in my L-29s before I bolt them back on.
Oh well, live and learn.

I could not find the intake to match the 290 runner.
Do you have to modify one?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Madmax,
I got the flow numbers off Edelbrock's web page.
Dyno2000 shows a 40HP increase over the L-29 heads.
Are you making a cam change as well?

Quick Reply: Edelbrock heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.