Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions >

Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions

Notices

Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions

Old 11-24-2003, 03:03 PM
outlaw1971

Steet,

I'm interested in your K&N's. What engines are they for and how much do you want for them. lv. your number and I'll call you

Old 11-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

jp's got it right.

Today's auto motors come with microfinished bores. They are also assembled and "spun up" with conventional stock lubricants before final dress where they get the pans and covers and the accessory systems and spark and fuel systems. At final dress they also get whatever oil they will be shipped with.

Today's break-in is more for the transmissions, differentials, and brakes than it is for the engines...
Old 11-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
jp's got it right.

Today's auto motors come with microfinished bores. They are also assembled and "spun up" with conventional stock lubricants before final dress where they get the pans and covers and the accessory systems and spark and fuel systems. At final dress they also get whatever oil they will be shipped with.

Today's break-in is more for the transmissions, differentials, and brakes than it is for the engines...
Thats right, modern engines don't need a break in to seat the rings or valves. Tolerances are far tighter than when that stuff was necessary.

mcollinstn is also right about synthetics and roller lifters. If it was so slick that a roller didn't even turn on the cam, how could it cause any wear? It would have a lower coefficient of friction slipping than to make the roller roll. Cams taken out by roller lifters are usually a lifter failure or the lifter turning off center.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Corvette ZR-1 came from the factory with Mobil 1 in the pan and I recall seeing a Porche (turbo?) with factory instructions/engine stickers saying to use Mobil 1.
I swear by Mobil 1. I'll use nothing else.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:55 PM
DIAMONDPERFORMA

I was at the Mercury trailer in Key West and saw cases of Mobil 1 sitting next to the trailer

Old 11-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My engine builder uses Mobil 1 in his dragster. The only negative he said is Syn's have no detergent additives. But again, they do not break down and leave residue like fossil derivatives.

His theory "It is good to start with a clean engine."

You guys got some good input going here!
Old 11-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the "syn", expresscat. Amsoil's HD-20w50 has the additives. Their series 2000-20w50-RACING costs more, handles more load, stress, and heat, but doesn't have the additives, so you change more often to keep things clean. --- Jer
Old 11-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ALL motor oils with an "SC" or better (SE, SF, SG, up to the newest SL) have detergents.

ONLY "some" RACING labeled oils some without detergent additives.

I am unaware of any motor oil in the MOBIL1 lineup that is available without detergents. (I am unsure of whether their 2-stroke oil does or doesn't have detergents).
Old 11-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Syn Oil

Does anyone make single weight synthetic oils?

Thanks
SL
Old 11-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pismo,

100% Synthetics ARE single-weight oils, for the most part. They are made from single-viscosity base stocks, not mixed. Only some of them use ANY viscosity modifiers at all.

The "weight" rating on the label reads as a multigrade essentially because a 5w-40 synthetic "acts" like a 5w conventional in cold weather, yet lubes like a 40w conventional at working temp - even though it is a single weight oil (for the most part).

You more or less select a synthetic oil by its "higher" number. If you want straight 40 weight, you get a 5w40 synth OR if you want, you can get a 15w50 (which wil lube like a 50, but be much thinner at startup than a conventional.

Quick Reply: Change to Synthetic Oil. Have questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.